TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A truck and a TT are speeding - who gets pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A truck and a TT are speeding - who gets pulled over?

I'm behind a speeding SUV and we both pass a cop on the side of the road (Palisades Pkwy). The truck crosses two lanes and quickly takes the first exit, while I continue straight on. Of course the cop pulls me over.

I argued with him for a while and he had an answer to everything. He gives me the two-page printout (new ticket format I guess); on it was my statement. It read "Why am I not surprised that I got pulled over? I was going the same speed as everyone else". I wonder what the judge will think of that.

See you in court
Old 03-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Rest In Peace

selective enforcement...one of my BIGGEST peeves !!!! Sorry man
Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

go to court cop may not show to contest
Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default usually doesn't matter if the cop is there or not. they will still get something from you.

whether it's cash - or cash and points off your license. at ~300hp i've had my share of run-ins with the law
Old 03-21-2006, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Make a plead for victimisation....he only pulled your car instead of

the SUV as he knew you had potential to go faster ;-)
Old 03-21-2006, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

doesn't matter
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 AM

but it won't affect your insurance if they don't convict you of a moving violation.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Some advice......long.

First of all.....never argue with the cop. look at www.motorists.com for more information on why. In a nutshell though, you don't want to be memorable to him if you do go to trial because if you are he is more likely to do things by the book which makes it tougher to get off on a technicality.

If you got the ticket in New York your first line of defense is to send in the ticket with a not guilty plea and request the supporting deposition. Make sure that you make copies of all of this too. I have gotten out of many New York tickets because the cop failed to supply me with the supporting deposition which means that the state failed to properly supply you with discovery. YOU HAVE TO MAIL OUT THIS REQUEST AND SHOW PROOF OF THIS WITHING 48 HOURS OF RECEIVING THE TICKET FOR THIS TO WORK. If this was in another state then it is a different matter.

Please keep in mind that I have only had to deal with tickets in Georgia, Tennessee and New York. In Georgia and Tennessee asking for traffic school has been really effective. Keep in mind that it helps that I have no tickets on my record because I have fought each one tooth and nail and at this point have nothing that has shown up on my record (the New York ones dropped off, and I have avoided convictions in Georgia and Tennessee). Anyhow, it is worth a try. The second one to go for is a non-moving violation.

If they won't go for either of those then I recommend the legal defense kit from the NMA or the Georgia Speeding Ticket Killer if you received the ticket in Georgia (I know that you didn't, but I wanted to post this for others edification)

As for my opinion on all of this. I fight every single ticket in order to keep my insurance low. It is a total scam that people need to stand up against but don't. These tickets have NOTHING to do with safety. It is another way to rape the public. Unfortunately it is a corrupt system at EVERY level. I know that some people like to say that the police are "just doing their jobs", but the fact is that this isn't any different than a mobster that was "just doing his job".

I feel your pain though because I had the same thing happen coming into Savannah this weekend. I had the cruise set at 80 (in a 70 zone) on my Grand Prix (my other car). Georgia has a 15 over officail tolerance. So you can imagine my surprise when I was pulled over for 86 eventhough I had traffic that had been passing me. I didn't argue anything and let the guy go on his merry way. I called the county clerk (Bryan county) and they told me that if I send in the fine and request a speed reduction they will reduce the ticket to 4 over the limit. That would be fine if I had a Georgia license since it would not give you points, but I have a Tennessee one which does count that (and yes the two states do share information). So my next step is going to be to call the DA and see if I can pay them the origional fine, but do traffic school to have to charge dropped, or pay the origional fine and have it dropped to a non-moving violation.

Personally this, and other incidents, have given me such a negative impression of the police that I have NO respect for them. When my car and appartment were broken into they were completely ineffective at apprehending the crooks that did it. The same was true when I was mugged on two different occasions. But they have had no problem writing me tickets for minor traffic offenses that jack up my insurance. This is why I flip this lowlifes the bird whenever I see them pulling over a motorist for some stupid traffic offense.

Sorry for my long rant, and my appologies for those that have relatives that are cops, but I've got to call it like I see it here.

Lance
Old 03-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Elder Member

Default the palisades pkwy is notorious for troopers hiding in several areas coming off of the GWB.

i'm pretty careful when i go up there...more than other areas in the garden state. and they are there more often at the typical days of the month.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default couldn't agree more. i've lived in the boston area for over 10 years >>

i've been the victim of a few robberies (car, person, etc) and on the law enforcment end, nothing much comes of it. but, for the love of god don't go 42 in a 35 or take a right on red (with no sign).

i was young and pretty naive about tickets and court, etc. i used to pay my tickets. now i have a lengthy moving violation record. every time i get pulled over now, i'm pretty much screwed - no matter what.

Quick Reply: A truck and a TT are speeding - who gets pulled over?