TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Trunk spontaneously opens...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2000, 10:30 PM
Rajeev

Default Trunk spontaneously opens...

Another TT electrical mystery:

I picked up my TTQ two weeks ago and have been extremely happy with the performance. Having said that, I continue to experience one problem:

On several occasions (7-10 thus far), I was driving the car and noticed that the "trunk open" symbol was flashing. I stopped the car each time and found that the trunk was indeed open (unlatched). I initially attributed the problem to my inability to push the correct button when unlocking the door, but have confirmed that the trunk is indeed unlocking _after_ I get in the car. I haven't yet isolated the action(s) necessary to reproduce this not-always-reproducible phenomenon.

I love the car...but want to take care of this problem. I know I won't be able to demonstrate it for the dealer. Any similar experiences out there?
Old 01-02-2000, 10:39 PM
Dave G

Default Re: Trunk spontaneously opens...

My 180Q experience has been that the car is so darn air-tight (note trick side window pop down)
that it is easy to not shut the trunklid with
enough force to latch it.

Or it could be electrical, heaven knows I've had
lots of electrical bugs with my TT.
Old 01-03-2000, 05:09 AM
ddev

Default Similar problem...

I've had a similar problem. Sometimes the trunk light comes on after I'm _sure_ the hatch is fully closed (i.e. I pulled up on it after closing to be sure). I've aso noticed that the trunk latch started making a dull clicking noise when being opened. This began just before the open trunk problem showed up. One more thing for the next service checkup...
Old 01-03-2000, 06:34 AM
nick

try hitting the interior lock button on the console before you start the car up. maybe that will eliminate the trunk spontaneously opening.
Old 01-03-2000, 09:09 AM
Kurt

My Audi salesman showed me how to "properly" close my trunk the first day. It was an eye-opening experience as he slammed the trunk down with considerable force. He told me this was just one of the quirks of the TT when new. The few times I have babied the trunk down, I experienced the same result as you. However, when taking the trunk down to about a foot from being closed and really closing hard, I have never had an issue. The trunk is getting easier to close (11,000 miles) now and does not take as much force....hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2000, 01:57 PM
ben

It's the new pop-up spoiler feature, it happens at speed above 93 mph
Old 01-03-2000, 01:57 PM
ben

Re: It's the new pop-up spoiler feature, it happens at speeds above 93 mph
Old 01-03-2000, 03:45 PM
Buckeye Billy

Kurt's absolutely right! My Beetle did the same thing until I slammed it.
Old 01-03-2000, 06:31 PM
D-TTrain

Default Maybe you aren't slamming it hard enough? My dealer told me specifically to make sure I slam it!

I've never had a problem.
Old 01-03-2000, 06:33 PM
D-TTrain

Yes, but this will keep the dome lights from working!! (unless it's been fixed already!)

Quick Reply: Trunk spontaneously opens...