TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tt 180 roadster transmission compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tt 180 roadster transmission compatibility

Where to begin? 1 mo. Ago I bought an Audi tt that was in excellent condition or so I thought first thing I did was ordered bilstien pss9 ordered all new polyurethane bushings for front and rear suspension, new ball joints, rear h&r adjustable sway bar, all new shocks and strut mounts. I also chiped it using apr stage 1, upgaded to ecs air intake manifold power gasket, and installed an injen cold air intake. I installed all new lightweight pullies, new water pump, new timing belt and tensioner, new serpentine belt and tensioner. In addition I installed a stainless manifold, spyder led tail lights.... Now for the bad and ugly... While working on the front suspension I noticed the passengers side axle flange had a minor leak.. No problem I thought but boy was I wrong!!!

When I separated the axle from the flange I noticed the flange was full of gasket maker... I was pissed when I saw this, I took all the gunk out to access the bolt. the bolt is not the original so got even more pissed. I start to take the bolt out and I notice the bolt was cross threaded all of a sudden it just starts to spin but I can feel its grinding on something after fighting for several hours I decided to cut the bolt out and i got the flange out. After inquiring with different transmission shop the say the transmission is pretty much gone and I need to do a complete rebuild, which I don't believe the car was shifting perfect before all this. Then I had the bright idea to just do a transmission swap.... So when I do research on this I find the transmission code needs to be egz and I confirmed with the Audi dealer using the vin... Well what is on the car is not an Audi transmission, the code is egx and Audi dose not have this code so obviously it's a vw transmission now the question is what transmissions are compatible with Audi tt trany? I have found several transmissions that say they are compatible with egx. And I have found some that are even 6 speed that are compatible with egx but I weary of buying something that won't work and get stuck with a large paper weight ... Need help please advise on possible solutions.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Subverter
Where to begin? 1 mo. Ago I bought an Audi tt that was in excellent condition or so I thought first thing I did was ordered bilstien pss9 ordered all new polyurethane bushings for front and rear suspension, new ball joints, rear h&r adjustable sway bar, all new shocks and strut mounts. I also chiped it using apr stage 1, upgaded to ecs air intake manifold power gasket, and installed an injen cold air intake. I installed all new lightweight pullies, new water pump, new timing belt and tensioner, new serpentine belt and tensioner. In addition I installed a stainless manifold, spyder led tail lights.... Now for the bad and ugly... While working on the front suspension I noticed the passengers side axle flange had a minor leak.. No problem I thought but boy was I wrong!!!

When I separated the axle from the flange I noticed the flange was full of gasket maker... I was pissed when I saw this, I took all the gunk out to access the bolt. the bolt is not the original so got even more pissed. I start to take the bolt out and I notice the bolt was cross threaded all of a sudden it just starts to spin but I can feel its grinding on something after fighting for several hours I decided to cut the bolt out and i got the flange out. After inquiring with different transmission shop the say the transmission is pretty much gone and I need to do a complete rebuild, which I don't believe the car was shifting perfect before all this. Then I had the bright idea to just do a transmission swap.... So when I do research on this I find the transmission code needs to be egz and I confirmed with the Audi dealer using the vin... Well what is on the car is not an Audi transmission, the code is egx and Audi dose not have this code so obviously it's a vw transmission now the question is what transmissions are compatible with Audi tt trany? I have found several transmissions that say they are compatible with egx. And I have found some that are even 6 speed that are compatible with egx but I weary of buying something that won't work and get stuck with a large paper weight ... Need help please advise on possible solutions.
You don't say whether your car is FWD or Quattro.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
You don't say whether your car is FWD or Quattro.
Sorry, it's a FWD
Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Subverter
Sorry, it's a FWD
That's going to limit availability quite a lot.

I believe it's 5 speed only, egz 2000-2002.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
That's going to limit availability quite a lot.

I believe it's 5 speed only, egz 2000-2002.
The weird thing is that it has a egx installed which was working perfectly, if I'm not mistaken all that code represents is that it's a fwd trany... I found another trany that is compatible with the egx ... So the question is if the egx was working fine will a trany that is compatible with the egx work on the tt?

If egx is compatible with egz, And (X) is compatible with egx, is (X) compatible with egz?