TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

tt coolant leak / water pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tt coolant leak / water pump ?

My sisters 2001 tt has developed a coolant leak that I have not been able to find.
It seems to collect on the lower lip of the ribbed belt shield and then blow back on the the pan. I would think it might be from the water pump but the t belt cover is very secure and I replaced the water pump along with a complete kit with the t-belt about 5000 miles ago.
Has any one had a water pump develope a leak and show coolant leakage this way. I have the car up on stands, have pulled all plastic panels and just can not find a source convinceing enough to dive in and go at the water pump.
discussion please. Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default water leak

Or Coolant. This leak was not apparent except after a days run to and from work and after a over night sit, would be down 1/2 inch in the over flow tank.
When loking under neith the car there was plenty of evidence of a coolant leak but no apparent source.
I spent and hour under the car with it running and no leak. Next day it was driven to work and ever hight it was low again.
SOOOOOOOOO got a pressure tester and hooked up the pump. 10lbs of pressure and the t-stat o ring gave way to a healthy flow.
This t-stat, oring and elbow are only 6 months, 5000miles old. I replaced the genuine Audi oring with a locall after market oring and reinstalled te t-stata and elbow and it passed the pressure test. Now we will be diligent in watching the coolant level for a while. QUESTION. I do not like the way the plastic elbow seems to bow out betweeen the two bolts that hold it. Is this normal. I would think that a sealing elbow like this should be srong enough to compress the oring and no bow. ??????
Any one with experience on this. Would sleep better if this is normal
thanks.
I also noticed that the Serpintene belt that is only 6months 5000 miles old is very cracked up. It was part of a complete T-belt kit I installed.
I am replaceing it but it sure is not due I would think ?????
thanks for the help with this Audi TT I love this car and my sister couldnt afford the upkeep if I didnt do the work for her,
But I still want one
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the new thermostat cover (elbow) aftermarket? Made in China?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I dont know, I did not inspect it for that But O got it from one of our major suppliers . If it fails again I will look into the maufacture location and let you all know. Thanks
The leak seems to be fixed will be diligent at inpsecting the t-stat for leaks for a while.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default leaking again

I ave ordered another t-stat housing elbow and will shortley be replacing the bad one. Will let you know the brand when I get it out. I cannt figure this as there is no strain on it other than by design .
Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

Be careful not to over torque the bolts on that thermostat housing. I had to change one once for that reason after a few thousand miles. Good Luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenLofland
I ave ordered another t-stat housing elbow and will shortley be replacing the bad one. Will let you know the brand when I get it out. I cannt figure this as there is no strain on it other than by design .
I move the alternator out of the way to have access to clean the surfaces in which the thermostat and its cover are located. Some would say this is not necessary but access is limited with the alternator installed. Also when the alternator is being reinstalled you should squeeze the attachment sleeves open a little to ease reassembly.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
I move the alternator out of the way to have access to clean the surfaces in which the thermostat and its cover are located. Some would say this is not necessary but access is limited with the alternator installed. Also when the alternator is being reinstalled you should squeeze the attachment sleeves open a little to ease reassembly.
Peter: I was very careful to clean the surfaces. But I did notice that the plastic housing did not sit fluch to the block all the way around, it sort of bowed between the two fasteners on the drivers side that you can see butit did pas the 10 lbs pressure test after installation. I will be most curious to see the new part to compare with the one I got from the vendor before. It possibly might have a crack to, who knows till I get it back off, right now the car runs ok and need coolant added once every two-three days so my sister can drive it to work. She ha been instructed to stop and have aaa tow the car home if the coolant warning comes on. She is a pro at calling AAA