TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT crashes may be caused by Haldex..... Newspaper Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2000, 03:00 PM
gadgetboy

Default TT crashes may be caused by Haldex..... Newspaper Article

<ul><li><a href="http://www.drive.com.au/news/default.asp?section=news&page=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content/20000218/news/news3.html">http://www.drive.com.au/news/default.asp?section=news&page=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content/20000218/news/new
Old 02-17-2000, 03:13 PM
Marius

Default If he's an automotive engineer he must be misquoted.

The quote was "However, when the driver lifts off the accelerator, drive to the rear wheels is abruptly disconnected. It's this sudden 'torque unloading' of the rear axle allied with weight transfer to the front end under braking that unbalances the car."

This doesn't make sense to me. In fact, such "torque unloading of the rear axle" would be a measure to prevent rear unstability, and I think the Haldex is programmed to do this to increase stability.
Old 02-17-2000, 05:20 PM
Flick

Default Depends on what he means by 'unbalances'... (more)

The condition described in the quote would tend to create an understeering or 'plowing' condition. The car would be somewhat unresponsive to the steering wheel.

If that's what the author means by 'unbalances', then sure, it's a correct statement.

The condition, however, DOES tend to increase the stability of the car. It would have less of a tendency to swing its back end forward in turns if you take your foot off the accelerator, the rear wheels are no longer driven, and the weight shifts to the front when braking.

The quoted person might be commenting on the tendency of the car to plow, or he may just be clueless. I've been amazed at how many automotive professionals really have no grasp of the understeer/oversteer concept, and how even fewer understand the difference between true oversteer and power-induced oversteer. I once had a mechanic tell me that a Dodge Ram is an oversteering vehicle because it's RWD!!!
Old 02-17-2000, 07:53 PM
ben

Default "Murray claims Audi's "proper" quattro full-time 4x4 transmission would not cause this problem.."

Interesting article, seems i'm not the only one who thinks Haldex should not be marketed as "quattro."
Old 02-17-2000, 09:35 PM
Rob

Sounds like the mythical "spider bite" associated with the Torsen
Old 02-18-2000, 02:47 AM
Marius

Porbably Murray is a torsen-worshipper. End of rational discussion. ;-)
Old 02-18-2000, 05:26 AM
franck

Default Sounds ridiculous ! (more)

This theory is completely ridiculous. If you cut off the power on a powertrain you INCREASE the grip on this train, since you reduce the constraints on this train.
If the downforce (weight + dynamics (susp.) + aerodynamics)remains constant, the grip should even be better when you cut off the power!
First : the Haldex is defined to transfer engine brake to the rear as well (it shares the torque between front and rear electronically in all conditions). Of course problems with electronics may happen.
And : the problem, (supposing there is really one)comes from the suspension and the aerodynamics : when you cut off the power or apply brakes, you remove downforce on the rear and reduce the grip.

The only solution is to apply aerodynamic downforce thanks to the spoiler and to reduce the mass transfer from the rear to the front by modifying the suspension (more rigid).
If you want to be convinced, just try the early built roadsters : with a much softer suspension, the problem of stability was increased.
And don't forget the "stability problem" of the TT was just a problem of feeling of the car limits
that's all.
That's why professional drivers (that perfectly feel the limits of a car) found the TT's handling very good at the beginning.
Only regular drivers driving very fast, maybe for the first time experience problems.
My advice : when you drive fast, drive smooth : no violence with the wheel.
Sorry for the length of my "speech" and drive happy !
Old 02-18-2000, 05:29 AM
franck

I agree completely ! (just read my other post)
Old 02-18-2000, 05:32 AM
franck

I agree completely : some people don't know what they're talking about !
Old 02-18-2000, 06:12 AM
bugatti

Default Another viewpoint

The car is taking a fast turn. If the rear wheels are suddenly left idle, all you have left is centrifugal force. If you suddenly release the throttle and brake, the rear swings out even
more. Now you have a split second to realign. You don't do it right, or you do it too late
and it's a sure spin. With enough wind up-lift or just a bump on the road, you have a spin
and a flip.

Quick Reply: TT crashes may be caused by Haldex..... Newspaper Article