TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT has smoke going inside of it and blowing out the rear-intermidit & (dyno results too)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TT has smoke going inside of it and blowing out the rear-intermidit & (dyno results too)

So last Sunday I had an issue with a rock and my 3" cat-back. A big rock. It broke a already rusted flange. Not happy about that. I had this 2.5" welded to a stock muffler and I decided to cut the stock muffler box open and gut it for some fun straight pipe action. During this adventure I reused a old gasket that looked kind of ****ty. It was between the test pipe and the 42DD 2.5" cat-back adapter. Well on that Sunday when I was done I let the car run for about 30 minutes and it wasn't smoking any different than it ever did from the rear but when I got in the car it was full of exhaust smoke. Full like there were 2 potheads passing a blunt back and forth for an hour. Full. So I drove down to the store & bought a gasket then put it in the car. I let it run for 30 minutes and had no smoke in the car at all. Figured I was finished.

Today, Saturday almost a week later I went to Force Fed Engineering dyno day just for a little fun.

My friend ran his VR Rado' with a 2.5" cat-less straight pipe and 2.25" Dynomax straight through muffler. He also has an EIP intake manifold (I think that's the company) and some software + K&N drop in. He ran 173hp/173tq consecutivly never under 170/170 and he hit 175 on one run. Plans to do 268's and head work to get to 200 hopefuly.

I ran the TT in FWD mode, they unplugged the haldex from the controller itself. I ran 248hp/287tq with a spike of 305tq - this is a dynojet dyno BTW- so who knows about the results, but during all three of the runs my car would shoot white smoke out of the exhaust tips. People would actually back off when it did it lol.

Before the dyno run my car was on for over an hour with my girlfriend inside of it and it was never smoky (she didn't pass out lol) after the dyno we left it running and she must have been in for another 30-40 minutes and the shop guys beat on it hard to 7k consecutively.

On our way home I did a run in 3rd & 4th to redline both gears 100mph or so just to pass someone on a road, so it was only for a hot second... We pulled into a parking lot to get Chinese food maybe 2 minutes after that and about two minutes after parking I got out and noticed that there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust tips & flowing over the rear wheels - flowing with the wind. It was a dark white, maybe even dark gray. She smelt it in the car before I said anything and got out. We turned it off and it was pretty bad inside and out. I let it air out and then went straight home and used her car for the night. When I got back to the garage I was looking everywhere for the source of the smoke and I couldn't find it - this problem is so intermittent and my stories are so detailed that nobody is going to want to answer this question!

Well I VAG'd it and found no codes that are out of the ordinary for me. I have a 42DD downpipe and that has 3 gaskets on it that I haven't replaced. I live in NY and my car is a daily driver and we have horribly salty roads and my car has been through 2 winters with that downpipe on it. I'm considering replacing them before I go making any crazy acusations.

By the way: my car has always blown white smoke lightly @ idle and thicker while accelerating. This was especially noticeable in the winter. I think it has done this since I had my cats deleted 3 years ago.

IF NOT a leaking exhaust gasket what could this be? Headgasket? White smoke usually means coolant burning I know, since I never noticed blue I have never panicked. I don't really feel like dying while driving the car I love though.

Thanks for reading all this if you got this far you have patience! These are the codes I pulled, the ABS stuff is due to the controller being pulled and the engine stuff: my N112 is deleted, my secondary 02 has a broken heater circuit and god knows what else. I've swapped the sensors, problem doesn't follow. Some wiring or ECU issue. Drives me nuts. My SAI is deleted as well.

ANy ideas guys? TIA!

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 8N0 906 018 T
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0003
Software Coding: 06610
Work Shop Code: WSC 01236
5 Faults Found:
17840 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Open Circuit
P1432 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - 35-00 - -
16522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Signal too High
P0138 - 35-00 - -
17525 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Circuit: B1 S2: Short to Ground
P1117 - 35-00 - -
16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-00 - -

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 8N0 907 379 C
Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 20 IE CAN V003
Software Coding: 13504
Work Shop Code: WSC 01236
3 Faults Found:
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46)
04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)
04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent
01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke from the exhaust may be a blown turbo, or head gasket. Check your oil to see if there

is any coolant in it.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thick black oil every 5k & boosting beautifuly! 20/21psi. holds - any other way to check the>

turbo?

Would it be a blown turbo like say internals? Or blown turbo gaskets. 91k on the car BTW.

I guess I could check the turbine by removing the TIP and IDK how to check the gaskets...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your oil is really black every 5K? Could be some blow by.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A-la cylinder walls bored out a little and oil passing by? Wouldn't it blow blue smoke then?

Yea the oils pretty dark I'd say. It goes in golden and comes out black... I checked it tonight and the level is pretty normal - I don't really burn much oil, I put in probably 1/4 or less more than I take out. I'm going to do a change next week...
Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Id send a sample to blackstone... See what they say is in there
Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Rest In Peace

mileage on that motor?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

91k, I got it @ 46k (no mods) and I'm pretty damn hard on the car too. Thx guys!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Which oil are you using?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Rest In Peace

Default the cabin thing is what is getting me>>>>

it implies there is a coolant leak somewhere or the smoke is entering via the AC vents.....

Is there a smell with the smoke???

I know my car if it is on an incline will blow a bit of smoke out of the exhaust tips. Best i can figure is it is a bit of blow by and it is getting to the exhaust valves as they are probably worn with 155k on it...

Quick Reply: TT has smoke going inside of it and blowing out the rear-intermidit & (dyno results too)