TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT has smoke going inside of it and blowing out the rear-intermidit & (dyno results too)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yea me too>

There's an exhaust smell when the smoke comes in the car, like you turned the car on in the garage with the doors closed. But when you get out of the car and smell the tail-pipes or look for a source it doesn't smell like that at all and there doesn't seem to be a source. I looked around the turbo and block for drips of fluid and the smoke while running as well as checked the cat-back for leaks. My original thought was that the smoke was coming in from the rear up the bumper by the tail lights if possible or something but my girlfriend said when she was in the car she noticed it more from the center console by the hand brake and shifter... Strange huh?

Thinking about it the AC cabin filter is under the passenger rain tray so if the AC system was feeding the smoke in (which is very possible) the smoke would be coming from under the hood, but when I experienced the smoke in car the second time @ the Chinese food place there was A LOT of smoke coming out of my tail pipes and blowing out and over the rear wheels due to the wind...

Thing is I haven't lost any coolant or oil.... my fluids have all been @ normal levels for the last 4k & I never top off my coolant or anything of the such, just peak that it's not under the minimum line and it never is.

I don't add oil either as I was saying earlier I probably burn about 1/4 a quart at most and most likely less since I refill my old oil into the new containers that I just put in the car like most people do I would notice if it's far off. I fill my dipstick to 3/4 high up the normal line and find it @ 1/2 high when I do the change, so that really can't be that much oil @ all. It's dead center normal...

For a note: my after-run coolant pump is dead. I haven't shelled out the $100 to replace it and I never really thought anything of it... That thing doesn't run while the car's on anyway right?

This is strange because it's so intermittent...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEtting exhaust in the cabin can come from anywhere under the car. I

I'd check the DP and cats.

White smoke can be from running too rich.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks, I guess tomorrow I'll replace all the gaskets & I'm deffinetly running very rich!

Rich = less power right? : (
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Alright found the problem (I'm 90% sure)>>>

First off thanks for everyones help and you guys pointed me in the right place to look!

Well I washed my car today by hand and in 10 minutes I think my hand got frostbite. I finished quickly and I had the car on the whole time and left it on while I went in to thaw my hand. It just kind of swelled up a little and I can feel it now finally.

Well I just went back outside and it was doing the smoke inside the car again. This is whats going on.

My 42DD dp at the first flange is touching the power steering line thats wrapped in metal. That burning smell is rubber burning. Seems that the DP has rubbed up against the metal so much it made a hole in it. The smoke is coming up from right there and since I have my rain tray rubber gasket removed the smoke is flowing right up into the cabin filter then shooting out the heating system.... Yea. Great huh?

I turned the car off and I'm letting it cool down. I'm going to remove the charge pipe and find out what the real damage is down there if I need a new PS line or if I can just patch the metal back up and secure it away from the DP.

I'll post photos when I get in there later. It's also my GF's birthday so I'm not sure that I'll be getting to this today...

Thanks again guys!