TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is the TT a practical daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the TT a practical daily driver?

I was just in an accident that totaled my Miata, and now I'm not sure what I want to get next. I checked out a TT and it seemed pretty cool; its fast, its in my price range, and its sporty. However, I searched a little bit about them on this forum, and some people are saying that they put $1000 a year to keep it running. I've dealt with Volkswagen before and know they are a PITA. So would you guys think its a good car for everyday driving?
Thanks,
Greg
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Now this is strictly MY experience and opinion. I stopped using mine as a daily driver because of the many problems. If you have the money and dont mind paying for issues then it's a great car! But if you want a reliable car like a Camry or Accord it's not going to be like that. I work on some of my own stuff so it's cool with me. btw, I like the name. Are you Greek?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TTuned
Now this is strictly MY experience and opinion. I stopped using mine as a daily driver because of the many problems. If you have the money and dont mind paying for issues then it's a great car! But if you want a reliable car like a Camry or Accord it's not going to be like that. I work on some of my own stuff so it's cool with me. btw, I like the name. Are you Greek?
Yup! And what kind of problems? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I'm in school now to tweak my abilties. I can handle most problems, but I had a Volkswagen, and it was a b-otch to work on.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes me too!

Some of the stuff that comes to mind:

Convertible motor failed, sensor the determines if top is up/down (cant remember off hand), tranmission issues with gears grinding, Mass Air flow sensor replaced about 6 times, water pump leaked early on at about 25-30k (cheap plastic impellers), couple of coil packs failed early on as well, Secondary Air Pump, glove box, on 2nd instrument cluster and this one needs replacing too, long/lateral sensors, suspension was completely shot at 50k (replaced with Coilovers), Haldex AWD replaced, have noticed alot of electrical gremlins (these electrical systems are very sensitive - 3 batteries and a couple of alternators).

But if you can do some of this stuff you are ok. This is since I have been the second owner back in 2003.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yikes... The one I test drove had the problem with the top sensor. That seems like too much to deal with. Its ashamed, because you dont see too many good looking small sports cars that are fwd (and sometimes awd). Unless I get some other people who had some better experiences, I think its "audi" the question (hehe, my first crappy Audi pun)
Old 10-22-2011, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would be looking at coupes however. And about your grinding gears, I had a similar problem on my old Golf, where it would grind into 2nd. Is that the same problem you had? Did you ever find the culprit?