TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Quality

I was just curious how everyone felt about the quality of the TT these days. I've heard that they have gotten better (and that the technicians have gotten used to working on them now), but what you think? Especially some of you that might have gone through some of these things. Would you do it all over again? Personally, I really like the way the car looks. However, it makes me a little nervous to toss down all that cash on a car that might be in the shop most of the time. It also makes me nervous to hear that some Audi shops in the past have been less than helpful.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2001, 05:41 PM

Default I've had my TT (2000) for almost two years and have had nothing but scheduled maintanence

and a few cosmetic fixes. I would buy this car again and in fact plan on hanging on to this one for life
Old 10-24-2001, 05:43 PM
Elder Member

Default "in the shop most of the time"? You must have these confused w/ '75 XKEs

Very, Very few of us had serious problems. Yes, there have been some issues (fuel sending units, clusters) that have caused a few to need replacements but the vast majority of problems have been minor quirks. I have had only a couple of minor annoyances and I would absolutely do it again.
Old 10-24-2001, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One, I think the quality is excellent (much more)

I had a 180 and now a 225 (with 37K miles on it in 18 months). With the exception of my recent CEL saga, which is an inconvenience rather than a problem, and the usual dv issue (fixed by installing a Bailey dv) I have had zero problems with either car.

Oh, I did have a rattling privacy shield, now fixed. So I think the quality, fit and finish is excellent.

Don't forget, most of the posts here will document problems with the TT; you rarely hear from anyone saying there's nothing wrong with their TT.

So far as service is considered, the service varies quite substantially from Dealer to Dealer. I've always made a point of getting friendly with my service advisor and technicians and, as a result, I've always had exemplary service (after the early initial parts supply problems).

Would I buy a TT again?

Let me think.......

YES!!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 year and 15K miles-- GREAT CAR!! No problems.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:06 PM

Default Yeah Ive had tons of problems....but ive got to say that my gripes are not

against the car itself and my many problems with it both in quality and build wise...but rather with the complete indifference expressed by Audi of America in regards to customer service. I will say that after several trips to different dealers I was eventually able to find both a compitent and curteous one....I guess what it really comes down to is I love the design of the car and its performance potential when Im done modding it....but I am very dissastified with some of the components on the car which based on the value of the vehicle seem cheap by comparison. Parts I find sub-quality include oem shocks (mark 2) , DVs and MAF sensors...the rest of the car is pretty good...I guess it comes down to this: would I buy another Audi? The answer is no...Would I sell my car...the answer is no....Do I like owning an AUdi...the answer is yes....Do I feel that AOA has handled my numerous complaints and issues in an expedient and friendly manner...the answer is no...But all this said I have finally found a good and friendly dealer who has finally fixed my car which has been off the road most of the time since June.....so really its up to you what you do....but keep in mind theres plenty of people who have had different experieinces with their Audis either more positive or more negative....
Old 10-24-2001, 06:18 PM
dr

18 months 17,000 mile no probbbbbblems 8-)
Old 10-24-2001, 07:16 PM

Default 18 months old and many problems such as.......

Instrument cluster, d.v, clutch cylinder, faulty mirrors, paint problems, electrical gremlins and a multitude of interior squeaks and rattles (Ihave given up on them). The only reason I keep it is because its such a beautiful and unique design and its great to drive. When the warranty is up I'll make a decision.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:19 PM

how did you fix the rattling of the privacy shield?
Old 10-24-2001, 07:26 PM

Default valid problems, BUT, it seems most of them (and most of the ones encountered and described by

people in this forum) are of a "relatively minor" nature and don't disable the car leaving you stranded. (disclaimer: I know a few people have been stranded, I feel your pain, but that doesn't seem to be a common happening...)

I agree, some of the minor things (squeaks, DV, instrument clusters) are annoying and shouldn't happen, but they're not the end of the world.
For the most part, quality seems pretty good.

Quick Reply: TT Quality