TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Quatro Trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2000, 09:36 AM
rbyko

Default TT Quatro Trans

I am having some problems when shifting my new TT Quattro. 1) sometimes it's almost impossible to get into reverse (although it's intermittent) 2) it is difficult to get into 1st 3) it's "notchy" when shifting between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd, although less so -- shifting from 3rd to 4th is OK. I see some postings about transmission problems, but can't see exactly what the problems are. Am I having a similar problem that other's have reported? Any help would be appreciated, since my dealer says he can't find the problem and isn't aware that there are any problems with the TT's transmission. They've tried adjusting the linkage, but nothing has helped so far.
Old 01-05-2000, 09:55 AM
The Pope

Default Re: TT Quatro Trans

Classic symtoms of a clutch not releasing properly.
Old 01-05-2000, 10:05 AM
PaTT R

Default Not on Quattros

A number of posts about similar problems with FWD trannys, but none so far on Q's. The transmissions are different. How many miles do you have?
Old 01-05-2000, 10:14 AM
rbyko

Default Re: Not on Quattros

I have 1,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2000, 10:20 AM
David R

I noticed this when I got my car a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes it was difficult to put the car in reverse. I haven't noticed any grinding, though. I did tell the car salesman about it. He asked me whether it was revving high. He thought it might just be the sign of a new transmission. I have noticed that the car's transmission has begun to loosen up the more miles I have put on it. I have a little over 1000 miles right now. I haven't noticed any problems putting the car into reverse lately. It may just need to be broken in. If it happens again, I'll have them look at it when I go for my 5000 mile check.
Old 01-05-2000, 10:26 AM
Joe

Default It gets better with mileage...

My TTQ was also very difficult to shift when it was new. I'm up to about 3200 miles now, and it has loosened up nicely.

It is still almost impossible to get into second gear when the car is cold (under 30 degrees), but the problems and stiffness getting into reverse seem to be gone.

I do still have an intermittent issue with notchiness. Yesterday on my commute to work I had to force the shift lever to downshift from fourth to third. I tried rowing the lever back and forth when traffic stopped and it was still there. This continued for maybe ten minutes. Then, a few minutes later, all was back to normal again.... Weird. But it is still improving as it ages.
Old 01-05-2000, 10:26 AM
Joe

I think its the gearbox oil.
Old 01-05-2000, 10:43 AM
D-TTrain

Default My Quattro tranny is fine at 2K miles. Sometimes tough to get in reverse, but this is true >>

with just about ANY car. You just need to go into neutral, let out the clutch a bit and try again. Haven't had any problems shifting between any of the forward gears. I'm starting to feel guilty not having any problems. )
Old 01-05-2000, 12:21 PM
BobM

I have a 180 TTQ with over 6000 miles on it. My transmission has been trouble free. Early on it was a little notchy but it has for the most part gone away. Once in a while I note that when going from 3rd to 4th or 5th to 4th the shifter does not fully engage. Moving to neutral and back again eliminates the problem. I suspect that because two cables are involved in the shifting mechanism it is possible, depending upon temperature and shifting motion, to cause the problems described. I have a copy of the Robert Bently CD Service Manual and it describes the adjustment of the shifter in detail. Special tools are required. My experience with Audi dealers in the Boston are has not been great when it comes to correcting intermittent problems. I suspect that a proper adjustment of your shifter would solve your problem. Check with your dealer again and ask them what the procedure is for adjusting the shifter. If they cannot describe the procedure to you find a dealer that can (including tools).
Old 01-05-2000, 02:00 PM
Don

Default I think D'TTrain is correct...

What D-TTrain is talking about when he says go into neutral, let out the clutch and back in, and then ingage the next gear is what us "old-timers" call double clutching. I think most if not all the problems you're having are related to 1. new transmission, and 2. cold transmission. However, double clutching will usually cover both these situations, both up and down the gears. Before syncromesh was invented all cars had to be double-clutched. It actually takes strain off the transmission even with a syncro box, but usually isn't recommended for everyday driving because of the additional wear on throwout bearings and other clutch mechanisms. By the way, proper double clutching for a down shift calls for a slight blip on the accelerator while the clutch is out in neutral in order to equalize the speed of the flywheel and the clutch plate.

Quick Reply: TT Quatro Trans