TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT rear-end lifting / swinging out... compared to what? (more...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-1999, 04:49 PM
Jeff M

Default TT rear-end lifting / swinging out... compared to what? (more...)

I will be purchasing a TT one day, hopefully sooner than later. You can't change my mind. I love the car.

I have never owned a "sports car". My current car is a Ford Probe SE. I am not overly concerned about the rear-end swingout characteristic of the TT. (Like I said, I will be buying the car regardless.) But I am curious about what people are comparing it to.

My question is about how noticable it is when compared to more common cars. Does the TT want to break it's tail loose more than my Ford Probe? What about a Camaro or Mustang? What about a pickup truck? What about a minivan? Or a Boxter? What about a current Lotus? How about the new M roadster?

Does it want to swing more than all of these, or only some of them? Which ones? I have driven my probe very aggressively before (even though it's just a mere-mortal kinda car) and I WILL notice the differences in the handling. I'm very curious if the TT will want to swing out more or less than my probe. But like I said, not WORRIED. (I'm buying it! No matter what!)

Thanks!
Old 11-21-1999, 05:03 PM
Cameron

Default I've tried real hard to spin a Boxster,

and it takes some work. It should take some real effort to spin a minivan, never done it, never driven a minivan, don't plan to try spinning or driving one.

You miss a point here, which is that the TT225Q is front wheel drive until it runs out of traction. Hence, it's pretty hard to spin except at the limit, during the torque transfer, and even then one needs remarkably bad timing to unsettle the car. No problems with a 225TT (Euro) at 120 making faster-than-needed lane changes in my passenger-seat experience at those speeds, but making the same lane change with the chassis unbalanced during a 5-3 downshift might be a different story. I value my life and a beautiful car's sheetmetal more than I value the information resulting from such an experiment. Some people devalue passenger seat experience, but my inner ear puts out much more useful data when I'm not driving simetaneously.

I've spun the present-generation Esprit, not hard to do at low speed taking turns at unrealistic radaii but less easy than trying to rotate an Esprit Turbo in boost. If you're ever going to be convinced about four-wheel-drive, it's going through some cones with an Esprit and a C4 back to back. I'll take my Carrera 4, thanks.

Never driven an ///M Roadster, but I've driven an ///M Coupe and it sticks like the TT would with a tighter suspension. You have to be really stupid, really fast, or really happy (read: intoxicated) to get into deep trouble unexpectedly.

I doubt this is a huge problem, we have a 180TTQ and our 225TTQ arrives in April. It's too bad Bondurant stopped using Probes a few years back, you could get a good racetrack point for comparison to compare your present car to the TT at the track...

Cameron
Old 11-21-1999, 05:49 PM
TT Tom

Default TT on the P-curve exercise at Road America

The Quattro Club had a P-curve exercise at the RA track event (it's a bit like a skid pad w/ cones). I COULD NOT get the rear end to swing out in the wet weather even while trail breaking.

At a wide sweeping turn at Blackhawk farms (turn 6), I entered the turn way too hot, did way too much trail braking (which I try to avoid anyway), and the rear got a bit loose, but it was very managable.

I do agree that the spoiler will likely help at 100+ speeds, but I'm still waiting for a complete side by side, before/after comparison of the suspension mods before any dealer touches my TT!!!!

- Tom

Old 11-21-1999, 05:53 PM
Cameron (was also at RA)

Default Huh, which TT were you? Black w/ sport wheels? (nt)

nt
Old 11-21-1999, 06:05 PM
TT Tom

Default Yes, Black w/o front plates.

Are you one of the APR guys? If so, that blue 180TTQ w/ your stage 1 chip was AMAZING. I guess I'll have to wait to chip mine before I hear that turbo whistle again.

- Tom
Old 11-21-1999, 06:24 PM
Cameron

Default LOL, nope, that'd be the blue TT...

... with Stephen, Nick, and Joy.

I was the white A4 with the vented hood and the aluminum / carbon fiber wing with carbon fiber supports, six-point roll cage, Recaro SPG/A's, Alcon touring car brake system front and rear, 18" OZ's, Vortrag pedalbox, etc. The car was built by Vortrag Motorsports and has since been sold to a friend of mine. I was parked at the top of the lawn for concours, and I saw you going through slalom as the rain started the next day. I was in the next run group with the silver 1998 ///M3 E36 Coupe, not the one with the 1996 Viper GTS.

Alcon brakes are going on my 225TT as soon as it arrives...

Cameron
Old 11-22-1999, 04:22 AM
Lars Svelander

Default Re: TT on the P-curve exercise at Road America

I picked my TTQ up a couple of weeks ago (in Sweden) and I have had the pleasure of driving it in the snow and ising conditions. The car is very well balanced and easy to predict. Of course the tail can get out sometimes, but that is what we want isn'it?!! this is a sports car not a Golf.

I agree with you Jeff, I will refuse to do ANY mods. to the car until I get detailed info on how the handling of the car will change with the new parts. I'm afraid they will turn the car into another boring understering monster.