TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT recall, why, and poss. solutions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-1999, 05:48 AM
Gary @ Ronal

Default TT recall, why, and poss. solutions!

I just got back from Europe, and there was quite an uproar in the magazines regarding the TT's handling--and as you can see from the front page at this site, a RECALL has been commenced in Europe.
To give you a background, there have been quite a few instances, in Europe--where traveling at higher speeds is the norm on the Autobahn's--that under sudden hard braking---the car goes into a spin--induced by the rear end braking free and coming around.
The TT is quite heavy on the front half anyway, hence the larger brakes on the front vs. the tiny ones in the rear. Most of the initial braking--I've heard as much as 80%--is in the front& with the weight load shift--it's plain to see why this could occur. Quite a few of these instances have occured in wet weather as well as dry.
An example: Imagine driving down the highway at 75mph+ all of a sudden people brake hard in front of you, you apply mid to hard range brake pedal pressure and the car immediately goes into a spin and WHAM!! The other cars stayed in a straight line. That's a real story!!
You can opt for better tires, wider track etc. mount sway bars and better shocks, and Audi is offering a spoiler for the rear deck--ie: to induce more downforce at high speed.
My recommendation is to opt for better tires, ie: 235/40/17 or even upsize and go w. the sway bars. Perhaps some tuners can modulate the brake pressure to translate a bit more to the rear brakes. Just some opinions, hope the INFORMATION helps.
Old 10-20-1999, 05:56 AM
Marius B

Default Gary, go play with your parking brake... ;-) (more)

... or rather, don't! "More to the rear brakes" is a close cousin of the old hand-brake turn, and would only make things worse!
Old 10-20-1999, 06:05 AM
Jenner

Default Is this an ad for people to buy your wheels so TT's don't crash?

If the problem was that easy to fix, wouldn't that be lots cheaper than spoiler and all the suspension upgrades? Don't you think the Audi engineers have already done analsys on the problems and the proper ways to correct them?

-Jenner
RIP '99.5 1.8T QMS Spoiler/Garrett/MM Spiders
'00 180QX TT(Friday!)
Old 10-20-1999, 06:57 AM
TimoThy

235/40/ZR17 will fit the TT? I DUN THINK SO! (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 07:15 AM
mne

it does... even lowered. No prob... plenty of clearance too. So does 225/40/18 (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 07:19 AM
Benson

Default more rear brake action not a good idea

The surest way to induce a spin is to lock up the rear brakes. It doesn't seem likely therefore that increasing the braking at the rear is going to be helpful.
Benson
Old 10-20-1999, 07:33 AM
Rich

Default Maybe just more rear brake bias...

so there is less of a weight shift to the front under hard braking.
Personally, I have not experienced any of these "problems", but maybe I'll do some 'experiments' this weekend.
Old 10-20-1999, 07:36 AM
Rich

Default Gary: Widest Tires on TTQ?

245's on wider rims???
Old 10-20-1999, 07:41 AM
TimoThy

Dude! Seriously? Can u confirm this?????? (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 07:43 AM
TimoThy

if u have 17's no need to change rims! (nt)

Quick Reply: TT recall, why, and poss. solutions!