TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT review in Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default While I agree with the general theme of your comments...

They might be worded a bit too strongly. My experience with the dealer has been very good, but my relationship with Audi corporate has been mixed.

The problem I have is that the TT's failures are mostly recurring problems. In the past, Audi has simply ignored or denied that these problems exist, much like the proverbial ostrich with its head buried in the sand. On the positive side, I have noted some recent improvement.

VW and Audi (unfortunately) have a reputation for building a car which is not the most reliable.

My personal view is that the major issue is one of corporate arrogance. If they listened to the consumer, instead of denying and making excuses, then they could address legitimate issues and thus improve the reliability of their product.

As one example (I could provide many), Audi has had a problem with its fuel senders for years. One car, the A6 (I believe), was actually recalled for this issue. Unfortunately, the problem extends to other vehicles in the line as well.

I have run out of gas due to a faulty fuel sender (shows that you have more gas than you really do) 3 times. 2 of the 3 failures occurred in hazardous locations (freeway fast lane, and on the blind side of a hill).

Most of us know there is a problem, the dealer knows there is a problem, the NHTSA knows there is a problem, and I suspect that Audi must know that there is a problem. Yet years later, fuel senders continue to fail.

If I was in upper management for Audi, I'd figure out what the problem was. If it was an issue with the parts supplier, I'd discuss it with them and perhaps even contract things out to a new supplier. If the problem was an engineering issue, I'd fire or reassign the engineer involved with this, and hire an engineer from Honda (or the like), and double his or her salary!

Could it be that tough to build a car with a reasonably accurate fuel gauge? Sheesh!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest bunch of ******* ever......
Old 08-13-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Brad be thankful you live in the US where

you guys have strong warranty laws which protect the consumer...up here in canada...its virtually impossible to lemon a car back.. I looked into a possible lawsuit..wouldve cost me aminimum of 50k dragged on maybe two years with no certain outcome.. Some of the dealers are so rude and stupid up here..this does not include my current dealer who is helpful and good...but the idiots I bought the car from routinely harass me to bring in my blue A4 for service..i dont have an a4.. If i was in california i would have more than qualified for lemon law... but up here im stuck with it..so im trying to mod it up...with quality parts.. re: not oem and make the best of it...I bought the car cause i liked it... but i dont like all the crap and attitude attached with keeping it running..dealers who are rude...corporated indifference... do you know how difficult it is to actually speak to someone at audi corporate in canada? all their numbers are hidden... factory field rep...forget it... she doesn return calls...ever.. Audi tried to bribe me to shut up last year with almost a thousand dollars worth of free merchandise...but you know..i would have settled for a car that just ran ok...I guess when your on a first name basis with all the flatbed drivers in your city your sense of humour starts to evaporate real fast...
Old 08-13-2002, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Consumer Reports luvs vanilla autos like the camry and accord...

or something (overly) popular like BMW 3 series or any Lexus (they jiz over reliability).

I'm sure they would say to AVOID the:
Ferrari 360 Modena/Spyder
the new Mini
Subaru WRX
Boxster/911
Range Rover
or any other passion vehicle.

I don't look for Consumer Reports seal of approval. In fact, their opinions remind me of when I was a kid shopping with my grandmother and she would pull out a pair of plaid pants and say, "these TROUSERS would look good on you."
The following users liked this post:
kclee1st (01-04-2022)
Old 08-13-2002, 09:05 PM

lol avoiding any land rover is good advice..ever seen a service log on a discovery??
Old 08-13-2002, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

What was the main negative points they mentioned ?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No surprise, they're the same mag which can't remember which way they're turning when driving, so...

complained about the single turn signal indicator on some VW cars. (sheesh!)

Anytime I've read a CR report on products which I am very familiar with, I find them to be basically clueless.

They might be useful for toasters and vacuum cleaners, but I doubt it.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default CR bases car info (to avoid, etc) on what consumers tell them ...

they do limited testing, and any info that they use to decide if a car has had a bad year (problems, defects, etc) is based primarily on what they get from their readers when they send out the big questionaire.

Most people do not correspond with agencies like the BBB or CR unless they have something bad to say.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:45 AM
iTT

Default I bet one of them drives TT!

or maybe they just got confused.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:12 AM

Default To me it's like reading a movie review...They are too biased and snobby to just

enjoy something.

9 times out of 10...I enjoy it when they said I wouldn't.

Same for cars... :-)

Quick Reply: TT review in Consumer Reports