TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Roadster 4 days old and someone has keyed one whole side

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2000, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Roadster 4 days old and someone has keyed one whole side

Not very happy about that
Old 03-07-2000, 04:05 AM

Default I don't understand some people. Just Horrible!

I have no idea what people are thinking when they do that. I mean, what do THEY gain? 5 seconds of immature giggling? Geez. What a heartbreak, I'm sorry for you.
Old 03-07-2000, 04:15 AM

Default Re: I don't understand some people. Just Horrible!

Thanks for the sympathy. The worse thing about it is, it is one of about 50 in the uk with ESP and the spolier. My dealer told me of the 20 TT's he has sold, I am the first one to be keyed. The good news is the Audi garage took pity on me, and are repairing it at trade cost, still after paying £35k on a car, within a week having to fork out more money to get it repaired.
To add insult to injury I got pulled over by the police, who thought I looked suspicious, basically they wanted a good look at the car, they did all the checks on me aswell, I am only 26 but they treated like I was a car thief.
Old 03-07-2000, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One of those days, huh? I know how you feel.

Sometimes I wonder how a person can have some much ill-will welled up inside of them that they feel compelled to lash out at people they don't even know. Think about it: it must really suck to be the person who keyed you.

Things will get better for you as the dark cloud over you drifts on. People like the one(s) who keyed your car bring trouble and unhappiness with them wherever they go and consequently they never find peace.

It's a damn shame, though.

-EJS
Old 03-07-2000, 05:17 AM

Default Words of advice

Sorry to hear about the damage...something we all live in fear of.

Some tips (hopefully useful..some plain obvious)

Always park in a well lit area
Try to park your car on the edge near a wall/bush or end of the parking lane as opposed to parking in between cars..at least one side should be protected.
If you have to park near or between cars choose an expensive car or more expensive car to park next too (an one that looks well looked after)
Avoid the cars that have kids seats in the front or back as doors usually go flying.
Totally avoid any 4x4 cars if you want to avoid dents.
Avoid thruways where pedestrians may walk to get to your car
Park your car with the rear end out as opposed to the front parking into the car park. The car is less noticeable (however with the spoiler this maybe more noticeable)
Avoid supermarket trolley sheds too.
Take your time parking, don't go for the first empty place you see and drive around the parking lot twice if you are unsure.
Old 03-07-2000, 12:01 PM

I don't know whats worse- the keying or paying $56k, US for the car
Old 03-07-2000, 12:03 PM

I thought the U.S. had the exclusive on car keying a-holes. Sorry to hear it.
Old 03-07-2000, 12:11 PM

Default 2 scenarios where this happens

The two times I've seen/heard of this:

1) I used to have a 67 Mustang Fastback. I bought it for $3700 cash, that I had saved up. The body was perfect, the rest was trash. I worked on it for 2 years until the engine purred and the underside was a rock. After I was done, it was worth around $10K(us). Nothing spectacular, but I was proud of it.

I had a job installing cable tv, in between high school and college, and we all parked in a lot together. Of all the cars in there, I paid *the least* for my car, yet it looked the best.

My second week, it got keyed. Twice. Why? Because I had earned it, and they hadn't? Because they didn't want to be shown up? There are no good reasons. I was pissed, and never got it fixed while there, because I knew it would happen again.

2) My cousin told me that he went out drinking with a friend, who was a fighter pilot. When they left the pub, his friend was really drunk. They walked (or something resembling that) to their car, an old Supra, and on the way saw a brand new 911 Turbo, still awaiting its plates.

His friend stopped and looked at the thing, and cursed its owner for being "lucky enough" to have a car so much better than his. He then put his boot into one of the headlights, until it was completely smashed. He was going for the other one, cursing the whole time, but my cousin managed to pull him off and get him back to the car. Don't even ask if they left a note.

Ok, they were young and drunk, and didn't have money. There just aren't any excuses for it. People make judgements on who drives these cars, and decide that they don't deserve them. What are you going to do, keep it in a garage?

Just love it while you have it, and do what you can!
Old 03-07-2000, 03:29 PM

Default That's not bad compared to what we have to pay here in Malaysia

My FWD TT was $314,000 ringgit, which is around US$82894 (at pegged exchange rate of 3.8 ringgit to 1 USD)
Old 03-07-2000, 03:44 PM

I guess $38,000 US is an even better buy than I thought!!

Quick Reply: TT Roadster 4 days old and someone has keyed one whole side