TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Roadster crashworthiness = VW Beetle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 03:49 PM
tm3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Roadster crashworthiness = VW Beetle?

i'm shopping for a sports car (probably a convertible) to replace my mazda miata. while the miata is a great car, it just does not feel safe in traffic due to the small size, lack of a rollbar, etc. obviously the safety features of the replacement are important, but it seems that very few if any sports cars and convertibles have been crash tested (if they have, i've been unable to find the data).

i did come across a side impact rating for the TT roadster that was excellent, probably due to the side air bags. forgot where i found that, however.

anyway, my question for the forum members is this: the audi TT looks like it might share the same chassis and possibly other components as the VW new beetle, and the beetle fared very well in the crash tests. is there in fact a sharing of platforms, and might one infer that the TT would perform similarly to the new beetle in a crash?

i sure would appreciate any other safety data that could be provided on the TT roadster. it definitely is at the top of the chart as far as the fun to drive quotient and the looks quotient!

thanks!
Old 06-23-2002, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chassis is the same, both derived from the Audi A3...

Thats about it though, sheetmetal/structure entirely different. TT has received highest ratings for side protection, in large part to high door sills, side airbags and solid structure.

VW Beetle only received 3 stars for side passenger..

Audi TT received 5 stars for both sides...

Look here:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2001Cmpt.html
Old 06-23-2002, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Beetle is the best in its class.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:00 PM
Elder Member

Default The TT and Beetle share the A4 platform, but the TT is stronger than the Beetle . . .

it has been beefed up in all areas. In hte book, "The TT Story", they show how much the door sill and the roof were beefed up.

There have been TT owners here that were T-boned by cars much larger and hit at 40+mph and the car protected the occupants fully.

I would much rather be in a TT than a Beetle in an accident, if I had to make that sort of choice. The TT Roadster is actually almost as strong as the Coupe. They are supposed to be two of the strongest cars on the road today.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:48 PM

Default reporting as 2 Miata owners, now TT owners ...

(me & my wife, now driving a TTR and TTC, respectively)

We still love our Miatas, and I felt perfectly safe in them (at least, as much as one can ever feel safe in a small, open car). That said, the TTR (and moreso, the TTC) are definitely a step up in the safety department. The Miata really is a small car, one of the smallest on American roads and when surrounded by trailer trucks and behemoth SUVs, it can make you feel a bit vulnerable. The TT is only a couple inches larger than a Miata in all directions, but those inches do give you a feeling of improved security, and the added weight and safety features (front & side airbags, and hefty side sills and door beams), along with the more-enclosed "bathtub" seating position really do make a difference. The TTR roll bars look great, and add some level of safety (but don't go overboat about testing them out - rolling a convertible is not recommended under the best of circumstances!)
Aside from the crash tests, anecdotal evidence suggests TTs do pretty well in crashes. The TT cockpit does isolate you a bit more from the environment than the Miata, which some will consider a drawback; it all depends on your point of view. Each car has its advantages and disadvantages. Much as I love the Miata, it shines best off the freeway; the TT is a great GT car that will cheerfully pile up the miles at speed. If you'd rather tip the scales a bit toward safety and give up just a little bit on the driving experience side of the equation, the TT should still make you quite happy. If maximum safety is your priority, stay away from convertibles (or even cars of any kind, for that matter), but I think the TTC is a good compromise for a small, open car that still provides a high degree of safety. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!