TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Roadster engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-1999, 05:50 PM
Rich Cohen

Default TT Roadster engine?

I'm in Philly and just put a deposit on TT Roadster(delivery in "Spring") I was told that the Roadster is only available in the 180 hspr engine and only in front wheel mode(no quattro). Is this true? Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for any info. Rich
Old 09-15-1999, 06:40 PM
Ed Burley

Default Re: TT Roadster engine?

The first roadsters in the US will be 180hp. A year later (spring 2001) the 225Q Roadsters should arrive.
Old 09-15-1999, 07:00 PM
Rich Cohen

Can you get a quattro or standard front wheel drive?
Old 09-15-1999, 07:51 PM
ChuckH

Default I hope this isn't the case! My dealer and magazine articles...

...I've seen put the Roadster 225 quattro in the spring/summer 2000 time frame. Infact, from what I can gather, this is the only way the Roadster may be available in the states. I would sure like a firm answer before I commit to anything. The Roadster will not move too well with the 180HP engine in it. It's heavier than the coupe.

Charles
Old 09-15-1999, 09:47 PM
johnkrls

Unfortunately the roadster schedule is similar to the coupe schedule - with one year difference of course:
May 1999 we got180 FWD coupe, and now, Sept 1999 we got 180Q coupe.
May 2000 we get 225Q coupe and 180 FWD roadster,
Sept 2000 180Q roadster arrives and finally May 2001 the 225Q roadster will be in the US.
The current auto mags - even the US ones - are showing the 225Q roadster but the tests are taking place in Europe. This car is already available there but not here. AoA wants strong coupe sales first and then they'll throw the top roadster in as well.
This is the current schedule which can always change just like the TT's color options.
Sorry, for the bad news...
John K.
Old 09-15-1999, 11:16 PM
ChuckH

Default Audi, if you're listening, and this is true, then...

...you better reconsider! If the 225Q Roadster is not in the States by fall 2000, there's a very good chance I'll be shopping BMW, and I don't want to resort to that! Like they'd care if they lost my order!

If you are correct, however, then the 180 Roadsters will have quattro by then. I may (although I'd rather not) settle for that and then upgrade the engine myself.

I think it's time to talk to my dealer again. This is disturbing news.

Charles
Old 09-16-1999, 08:38 AM
Jon

This is the exact opposite of what I was told. My dealer told me the Roadster would only be available with the 225 Quatro and 6 speed - that is why it runs almost $40K.

I put a deposit down last week so only time will tell. If the 180 FWD version is true, I guess I will have to go make BMW take my money.

The reason I like the TT Roadster is the styling and the uncompromising vision of the car. If Audi 'nerfs' the roadster, then I will have lost a lot of respect for them.

Cheers!
Old 09-16-1999, 12:23 PM
Jim Murphy

Your facts are exactly what I had heard from my dealer as well. Also, two others I know on waiting lists at other dealerships had heard the same thing. Sounds as if either this is the case or these dealers have been seriously mis-informed. I can tell you that if the first roadsters are only 180's then there are going to be a lot of pissed off people as we all seem to have been told the same thing - 225Q with stick only.
Old 09-16-1999, 12:58 PM
ChuckH

Default My dealer said 225Q and 6 speed also, but Audi doesn't...

...give the dealers all that much information.
Old 09-16-1999, 04:41 PM
Mike Owens

My dealer here in Tennessee told me that he expects the initial wave of TT Roadsters to be 180 HP FWD models (and I'm first on the list).

Quick Reply: TT Roadster engine?