TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT rules SCCA Solo2 (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT rules SCCA Solo2 (a little long)

Entered my first SCCA Solo2 event (New England Region) yesterday. My 180FWD is in GS (G Stock) class, but with me being a novice I was racing against the 27 other novices (including a Boxster, S2000, Impreza, and Integra). Each of the cars is still classified based on model, then an index is applied (multiplier based on their car class) to the raw time to get the PAX time, which defines the overall finish in the Novice class.

I was running on Mich Pilot Sport (and 48000 on the odo, with about 5k on the tires). The fastest time of the day was in the 27 second range (AMOD - heavily modified cars).

My first of three runs included a 90 degree spin coming out of a slalom, then another 90 degree after overcorrecting, then continuing on. I finished with a 34.8 sec run. Not bad, I thought, considering I lost quite a bit of time to the spins. I later found out the announcer thought I had quattro because of the way I was able to get back under control.

My second run, the fastest of my runs, was very sweet. Slow where I needed to be, and fast when required. The brakes are awesome (even after 48k), and the handling is tremendous under loads. My time for this run was 32.7, with my last run being 32.8.

The Boxster guy, who has been running Porsche Club events and a few SCCA events, clocked in with a 32.2! With my and the Porsche's PAX, I finished 0.5s second ahead of him!!! Unofficially, without the PAX, I was still second overall in the Novice class.

With my PAX applied, I am listed at 25.8 seconds, a bit faster than the AMOD, which is the baseline for the PAX.

If I were to be classed as open (not a Novice), I would have finished second in GS, 0.5 seconds behind a Prelude, who was running Kumho race tires!! I am making the call to TireRack today, and taking off the snows from the 16" wheels. I was told that I should expect at least 1 to 1.5 seconds on the race tires, on this size track.

I highly recommend Solo2 to any of you, as it is a lot of fun, and much safer than road racing (can't do much damage hitting a cone in a parking lot).

I'll post some pictures later.

Check it out at www.scca.org or www.ner.org.
Old 05-07-2001, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Way To GO!
Old 05-07-2001, 05:56 AM
Elder Member

Default Sounds like a blast. You are correct, it is safer than road racing and

possibly driving schools. But what do you think about the timed nature of auto-x? My insurance company and some others have clauses that say you are not covered when participating in any kind of timed event and considers it racing.

This has kept me from doing any more auto-x's since the first one.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done! Might have to try Solo2...have only club autoXed...
Old 05-07-2001, 07:06 AM

Default 16" wheel caution in G-Stock...

If your car has halogen headlights, you cannot legally run 16" wheels on it in G-Stock. If it was one of the 3 :-) that shipped to the USA without halogen headlights, your wheels will need to be the same diameter, width, and +/- 0.25" of offset as the originals. Not like it matters too much at a local event, but somebody will protest you (and win) at a bigger event if they don't think that you should be beating them. If I were you, I'd buy a set of flashy street rims, and use your factory wheels for your race rubber. Even better, buy some lightweight race wheels in the correct dimensions. The factory rims with Kumhos on them are BOAT ANCHORS! :-(

Glad you had fun at the NER event yesterday. I'm surprised that they had enough core members to even put on an event, with all of the good NER drivers being down at the Pro in Petersburg with me.....
Old 05-07-2001, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 16" wheel caution in G-Stock...

Are you saying that even though the 16" wheels are stock, and the 17" are options, because I got the options, I need to stick to 17"? That kinda stinks.

We had 165 cars, with just a few GS. Are you going to be at Devens this weekend? Do you run the NESCC events?

You show that you have the Mk1 suspension mods - which are those, and am I to assume they are still GS legal?
Old 05-07-2001, 07:49 AM

Default Whimp! FYI, my ****-retentive insurance company has no clause in their policy prohibiting...

...payment in case of an incident at a competition event. It surprised the heck out of me, and I went through the policy several times looking for a "thou shalt not" clause.

The way that I look at it, my insurance company is benefitting through my increased driving skills. I had a deer jump out in front of me a few weeks ago, and saw it in plenty of time thanks to the look-ahead skills that have become second nature as a result of my competition driving. The car behind me didn't even see my brake lights until it had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid hitting me, despite being behind me by over 1/10 mile when I put the brakes on. In the long run, I'm saving them money due to being a better driver.....
Old 05-07-2001, 08:05 AM

Default You can't "mix and match" package parts...

At least on the 2000 TT's, the only way that you could order the car from the factory and get 17" wheels was with the "performance package," which included the Xenon headlights. Therefore, you're required to run 17" wheels with the Xenon headlights.

I don't live in New England, and only go up to Devens once a year for the National Tour in June. (That once a year is one time too many, IMHO.) I just know many NER members from the ProSolo and National Tour circuits, plus our paths occasionally cross at local events down this way in NY/NJ/CT.

Mk1 isn't suspension mods. It's the original, pre-dumbing-down suspension that came on the first MY 2000 TT's (without ESP and the spoiler). It's "as it left the factory," and therefore legal thanks to Audi's wording of the voluntary recall campaign letters. Several national champions have driven both my car and Mk2-equipped cars, and they all agree that the Mk1 is the ticket to win.

If you're bored and up for a road trip, NNJR-SCCA is running at Englishtown NJ on Saturday. See the attached link.....<ul><li><a href="http://www.autox4u.com/main.htm">NY/NJ/PA autocross schedule and news</a></li></ul>
Old 05-07-2001, 08:36 AM
Elder Member

Default Agree that improved driving skills save ins. co.'s money, but

it's not your opinion that matters, it's the insurance company's.

26 views and nobody but you pipe up to voice any opinion at all on this. Looks like some folks just stay under the radar and hope nothing goes wrong or do the "tow and dump" procedure after an on-track accident.

Is this clause specific to Florida? I am with State Farm and I know insurance regs differ state to state and company to company.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: You can't "mix and match" package parts...

OK, thanks for the info.

I guess mine is also Mk1 as mine is now 2 years old, and has not had the factory mods, and I do not plan on it.

I was looking at the results from Petersburg but don't understand what RL means. Can you fill me in?

In your sig, it looks like you are using the factory wheels. Do you have a recommendation for a set of racing wheels?

I'd like to come down this weekend, but can't spare the time on Saturday. Maybe another weekend.

Quick Reply: TT rules SCCA Solo2 (a little long)