TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Seat Back and Leg Brace (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 09:08 AM
CB

Default TT Seat Back and Leg Brace (long)

My TT is due to arrive by the end of the month. After I dropped by the dealer yesterday to take another test drive, I still had the nagging feeling that I may be making a mistake. The bolsters on the seat back of the TT seem to squeeze my back a little too much on both sides. I'm not an overweight guy, and currently drive a New Beetle. My current car has a much "flatter" seat back and seems to be more comfortable and supportive (seating comfort is very important to me). Secondly, I'm also concerned about the way the TT leg brace limits the movement of your right leg (again, another comfort issue). Can current owners who may have had these concerns please give me some feed back/reassurance? Did you get used to this stuff pretty quickly or do these comfort related issues remain as time goes on?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2000, 09:56 AM
steve g

Default Re: TT Seat Back and Leg Brace (long)

The first time I drove my TT I found the brace on the right side to be annoying.It did not take long to get used to it and I now find I use it as a knee rest,especially on hard turns.I do not have any particular input on the other question,except to say that I find the seats very comfortable.I still love the car.
Old 01-22-2000, 10:28 AM
Jim Schiffman

I too found the center brace uncomfortable at first until I got use to it. Now I don't even know its there. I find the seats supportive and comfortable.

Jim S.
Old 01-22-2000, 12:16 PM
RogerS

Default Not to worry. Just don't go racing without it(more)

I was also concerned about both issues after my test drives.

The big problem with the test drives for me was that I was hooked and I couldn't get a TTQ for 4 months.

The seat back did become more comfortable for me with in a short time as I expected, typical of firm German car seats. The seats are form fitting, but now seem very comfortable overall.

With the TT's .91g lateral acceleration and almost instant turn in, you'll like form fitting seats!

The brace is another issue. It looks cool but it is very uncomfortable for me, being 6'-3". I could never, ever get comfortable with it in place. I immediately removed it (driver's side only). What an improvement! It seemed to open up the entire foot well.

Our local dealer's service people say that the brace is structural. Don't go racing or get into a wreck without it.

I'll reinstall the brace if we ever sell the TT. (You can reinstall one in 5 minutes by the way.)
Old 01-22-2000, 03:11 PM
Lee

Default Re: It gave me a dent in the side of my leg.

It's great if your on short trips but on a long drive, man does it hurt. Now it doesn't hurt at all, but that's because I had a pair of foam-in-leather slip-on covers made. Why Audi made the damn covers so hard is anybody guess.
Old 01-22-2000, 05:39 PM
LarryTT

Default I love the seats and find the legs brace in a perfect spot for high g turns!

I am 6'2" and have very long legs, the leather pad hits my knee in a perfect spot!

I am glad it is there.

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-22-2000, 08:14 PM
mrm

I love the seats - and hardly notice the leg brace. But I'm a TT fanatic, don't take my word for it. My wife claims the TT seats are the most comfortable seats of any car I've had (and I've had a few nice cars). She is not a TT fanatic like me, and very objective (and particular) about car seats.