TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

is TT worse than A6 in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is TT worse than A6 in snow?

I have a new TT quattro (in Connecticut) with all-season tires and I've gotten a lot of advice that I should get snow tires for the winter. But I've driven an A6 quattro for the past 7 winters without snow tires and had no problems. If the roads are bad, I slow down. The thinking seems to be that the light-weight TT with wide tires will float on the snow. Can anyone comment? Does a TT really need snow tires when an A6 does not?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your A6 probably has all-seasons. Your TT has summer only tires.

Please check. You cannot run summer tires in the cold and snow. Highly recommend a separate set of winter tires for the TT.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lots of TTs coming w/allseasons now

I think the 180s are at least...but I still say to go grab winter rubber...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope, not always. A friend's came with allseasons from the dealer(new)
Old 09-08-2005, 06:47 PM

Default my A6Q is like a snowmobile in the winter. it goes wherever I want it to.

I live in the Chicago area so we get a bit of snow

Can't compare to my TTRQ 'cause it lives in the heated garage and just gets started and driven around the block during the winter (it's never been in snow or much rain in 5 yrs).
Old 09-08-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: lots of TTs coming w/allseasons now

My TT definitely has all-season tires. Even says so on the window sticker. So I guess a follow-up question is - has anyone driven thru a New England winter on all-season tires in a TT? In case it matters, the TT is 225 hp, manual trans.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where in CT are you? Depends on which all season tire you currently have. >>

If it's a high performance all season, I would really consider getting dedicated snow tires.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm in Mpls and relish the day I got snow boots, unbeleivable difference. the TT is a blast...

in the snow. I just have the basic blizzaks and yeah, too worth it.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Which is a damned shame, thanks to the stupid people and their lawyers

and the salespeople that should have warned them in the first place.

Rich
Old 09-09-2005, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A4/A6 is slightly better, IMHO, but the TT is just fine with the right tires..I'd get snows.

Having owned and driven an A4 and S4 in the snow, and family members' A6's, I've tried all of them. The TT isn't that much lighter than those, less than you might think anyway. I'm not sure if I like haldex vs. quattro for the snow yet, or if it makes much difference.

I think it depends more how much snow and ice you'll be driving in, cause that determines how extreme a snow tire you should get. Even the all seasons you got with your TT aren't as good as some all seasons in snow, they're more performance biased all seasons. Yes, you'll make it through some light snow in those, but you'll be safer in some real snow tires if you see quite a bit of snow. And even then, you're right to slow down and play it safe when it gets slippery. Remember, 4 x 0 = 2 x 0 with traction.

Burn up those silly no season tires you have, get snows for the winter (I love my Nokian RSi's, having tried lots of things), and get some real sport tires for next year....your TT will love you for it. I just posted yesterday, Kumho MX's only $109 each in 225/40/18's, and edgeracing.com has some good deals too for next summer.

Rich

Quick Reply: is TT worse than A6 in snow?