TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-1999, 09:08 AM
Nick [uk]

TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)
Old 12-03-1999, 09:33 AM
Victor F

Default Re: TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)

If you want it without the suspension mods and the dreaded spoiler.. have it.
If it was me I'd have it..all depends how long you have waited for it.
If Y2K issues and further delays on production hit Audi you'll be waiting for a terribly long time
For me ESP and the way I drive I wouldn't have necessarily chosen a car with ESP over one that hadn't. Put it this way it's the last of the features on my list I would have looked for.

All IMHO
Old 12-03-1999, 10:00 AM
Andy W

Ask for a reduction in the price to cover the lack of ESP! (nt)
Old 12-03-1999, 10:06 AM
Jim Torongo

I agree with Victor , I would not want a car with ESP be it a Vette, Porsche,TT whatever . JIM (nt)
Old 12-03-1999, 10:20 AM
Victor F

Default I was just thinking about it...

Even if you did have an ESP version, how often would someone drive with it switched on?
Switched on you'll never fully appreciate the handling of the car or it's limits so why bother.
And if it was switched off and it got really tricky, how fast could you hit that switch... probably too late in my opinion. If anything the sudden change could throw you off your correction strategy. So why bother in the first place. The big concern is that people wil buy with ESP high on the list for the wrong car and for all the wrong reasons.

PS. I have yet to see or hear anybody get out of a potential crash situation by flicking on ESP while out of control.All I have seen is car presenters driving the same course, once with it on and once with it off. Please prove me wrong. It's an interesting subject
Old 12-03-1999, 11:30 AM
John TT

Default I will likely have it off most of the time, but would use it in these situations:

- relatively long road trips on the interstate with lots of minivans and Expeditions on the road
- very inclement weather when you really have to worry about others on the road;
- and to learn the limits of the car. I'd rather know I hit a limit by feeling the system react rather than lose traction. In effect, ESP should allow you to get to know the car better and faster, allowing you to drive it better & faster when you turn it off.
Old 12-03-1999, 12:39 PM
mne

I'd rather have it & not use it than need it (once) and not have it. Remember resale too (nt)
Old 12-03-1999, 01:44 PM
Jim Torongo

Default I have to say you make a good case for ESP, I still don't what it because of the complication --MORE

They say you can't work on todays cars because of the electronics, but that is really not true. Cars are still 95% mechanical( you CAN learn alot if not all the electronics). If you change the clutch in a FWD car you will not encounter much electrical aside from a few connectors to unplug. You will however feel like you are taking half the world apart. I know I'm not normal in this regard because even though I can afford to pay someone to do this work I don't. I know I'm thurough and do good work,don't cut corners and like working on cars and bikes anyway. I don't trust the people in the shops although I know most are good. ESP is more complication(when I work on the car)and it adds weight and cost,these things lie in the camp of the enemy. I am not against electronics as long as it futhers our cause, hell without ECUs and EFI we would would be talking about 115hp TT's. Don't forget that I'm the guy who sees no earthly reason to put a sun roof in a car (weight, cost, less rigidity). I won't buy a car without a manual gear box, and haven't. I like pure function, the world is passing me by, I haven't been to the barber since 1971 because I cut my own full head of hair. So I'm a bit odd, but I'll say this John you have made me want to drive somebody else's ESP equipped car. JIM
Old 12-03-1999, 05:41 PM
martin

Default Re: TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)

MY advice, cancell yer order and go for one with esp.

ESP is essential for better road handling especially on the quatroo system
Old 12-03-1999, 06:56 PM
Koo

Default Re: I'd rather have it & not use it than need it (once) and not have it. Remember resale too (nt)

I agree with you, mne. This has been my point all along--why not have the feature as long as you can choose not to use it? Also, the resale value point is a good one. Joe Public wants the latest and greatest, whether or not he needs it.

Quick Reply: TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)