TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-1999, 01:37 AM
Victor F

Default Good response and ideas. (more)

Slight side issue for the weekend..have some fun with this and have a look at

http://members.home.com/cora/MonaLisa/mona.html

Was e-mailed it the other day. Endless hours of fun
Old 12-04-1999, 01:40 AM
Victor F

Default PPS and by coincidence

..just go this form the Audi Mailing list today!
I asssume they mean www.audi.com

Thrill to ESP in Action

Can't get away to the Alps or Scandinavia? Experience the thrill of a slalom drive on the obstacle course at the Bosch Testing Grounds in Boxburg - not in reality, but on your computer screen at the Audi World Site. The excitement is ready whenever you are. Take an interactive virtual test drive and discover how ESP works. With mouse and keyboard you manoeuvre your car around pylons and other obstacles. You'll see how ESP keeps it on track, and you'll see how a similar vehicle without ESP reacts somewhat less brilliantly. It's a beautiful demonstration of how ESP maintains stability at the limit.
Old 12-04-1999, 04:18 AM
mne

Default I think you might find it actually left "on" most of the time due to it's default to on whenever...

the engine is started. Let me hasten to say I would never presume to tell you John "how" you would drive or what you would do with ESP when/if you ever have it but I think it probably wouldnt be that different from my ASR button now....

In everyday driving, ie; commuting to/fro work, going to 7-11 for a gallon of milk, the mall, the gas station, the car wash, dry cleaners, Blockbuster, restaurants, market run, golf course, etc etc etc why would you even bother to reach up and turn ESP off. In those situations you're driving defensively more than offensively or aggressively. And surely if you're like most of us that surely accounts for "most" of your usage of this, or any other car. And when you're driving defensively, thats ESP's house, where ESP lives, and shines. Seems to me that to turn something like that off, summarily every time you got in the car is akin to turning ABS off if it had a switch, or not wearing your seatbelt. I drive my TT as hard as anyone... probably harder than most. I play with other cars of touted performance incessantly. And I turn my ASR off when I'm doing that. But if the truth were known I'd bet you my ASR is on and functioning over 99.9% of the time. I would suspect the same of ESP if I had it. Why turn it off unless you find some yummy twisty road and you dont want the anesthetised feel of ESP. Why turn it off even in a momentary "lapse" with a Boxster, (light-to-light drag race)? It doesnt hurt, harm, impede or slow you in a straight line, but it might save your bacon if a dog or a small child suddenly appeared in your line-of sight from behind a parked car or other obstacle, or a myriad of other flukish instances that keep the word "unanticipated" alive and well... and prone to be used all too often with "accident." I think I would find that in hot summer months my ESP being turned off about every time I turned my A/C off. And about as ofeten in this car in winter months, since A/C runs even when the heaters on. When ya want all the power and agility this platform offers, you turn all the power/agility robbing features off. But I really do believe "most" of the time, it will be left "on." But hey... thats just me.
Old 12-04-1999, 04:55 AM
Nick

What exactly is ESP and how does it work?If I wait for a 225Q, will it be standard or an option?(nt)
Old 12-04-1999, 05:27 AM
John TT

I'd agree that it would normally stay in the default position (nt)
Old 12-04-1999, 07:43 AM
John TT

Default There's an excellent article in the Nov C&D on active handling systems calle "Cyber Co-Pilot" (more)

The issue has a yellow vette on the cover. ESP will in theory be a lot like these systems. If you can't find the issue, maybe somebody with a scanner could post it.
Old 12-04-1999, 10:41 AM
Victor F

See...http://www.audi.com/java/models/mapframe/esp.html (nt)
Old 12-06-1999, 12:51 AM
Darryl Griffiths

Default Re: TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)

I am in similar position. I placed my order during Feb and should receive my 225Q in a weeks time. Having reviewed wrestled with the thought of cancelingat ESP is likely to deliver and the issues of handling, I have concluded that I am not happy to cancel the order and have to wait for another
Old 12-06-1999, 01:21 AM
Darryl (UK)

Default Re: TT225 due in 3 weeks -without ESP - what should I do? Answers urgently please! (nt)

Ignore the garbled message above as I accidentally hit enter rather than tab.

What is should say is "I am in a similar position. I placed my order in Feb and should receive my 225Q in a weeks time. I wrestled with the issue of whether to cancel given the reported handling issues and given it will not include the ESP feature.

However, given I plan to keep the car for a reasonable time, I concluded that I would rather have what is a highly desirable car now, than have to wait for what is I believe is now a year plus UK waiting list. The benefit will be to own something which is not yet common place on the streets of the UK. As for the ESP well it may have an impact upon residual value but I have known other vehicles where the original spec without electronic gimmicks have demand more than later models that have it as a standard fit. Ultimately it will depend upon whether safety or performance are your ultimate interest.

I will take a view as to the suspension mods and spoiler after using the car for a couple of months and after reviewing other owner’s feed back.

I have already spoke to a few TTQ owners that I know in other countries. None to-date have complained about the handling and this to me reinforces Audi’s stance that the issue is that the cars handling characteristics can change abruptly when being driven on the limit. I have owned and driven a number of performance cars in the past where the characteristics can change quite abruptly or depend upon certain conditions. With any car that you wish to drive near the limits it is about learning what the limits are and how to handle the vehicle under certain conditions. This is typically best practiced in an area where there are few hazardous that could prove at worst life threatening or at least dent your car.

Hope this helps in reaching a decision.