TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TToo much aTTention?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TToo much aTTention?

I have had so much aTTention since I picked it up a week and a half ago it's unreal... already had at least half a dozen people ask about it and more stares than I can count. Given that my last ride was a Lexus RX300 that everybody and their mother seems to have (literally! Almost EVERY soccer Mom in Wisconsin seems to have an RX!), I'm not used to that kind of attention at all.

Is this always the way it is for the rest of you TT owners? Gotta admit it's kinda fun, but I'm not certain about always liking all the attention the car seems to attract... Anytime I'm stopped at the front of a stoplight and somebody in a "fast" car pulls up next to me they want to race... Case in point, the first stoplight I was at after picking up the TT last week Monday, I had a teenager in a Civic with a coffee can hanging where his muffler used to be pull up next to me and start revving his lawnmower-sounding engine... I just gave a friendly nod and waved; let him go speeding out of there by himself.

On a similar note, it seems like other drivers are FAR LESS courteous to me now that I'm driving the TT as opposed to my RX... I always drive courteously (except for my apology in another thread I just posted to a red 180QC owner) no matter what car I'm driving, so it's not that I'm pi$$ing other drivers off by driving like a jerk... people cut me off more, ride my a$$ more, won't let me in when I'm trying to merge, stuff like that.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Some of the attention is friendly & fun similar to when I drove my '72 VW Beetle a few years back, but that car didn't get this much attention, and it CERTAINLY didn't attract any negative attention.

I'm not regretting my purchase at all because I have never been more in love with a car, but I'm hoping that maybe I'll just get used to it all after a while?

Just a little unseTTled about the whole situation I guess and wondered if others' experiences have been similar.

ck
Old 12-27-2002, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yep.....from womb to tomb, people love this car and most of the time

are not afraid to tell you
Old 12-27-2002, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: TToo much aTTention?

you meet the happy people that at night think you have your bights on get all prissy and flash you when you pass them? that is about the most annoying thing i can think of as for getting attention form my TT. oh and TT stalker 19 yr old girls.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The attention dies down after a while, but I'm not real sure why.

When I first picked up my TT, people used to ask me about it all the time. Back then, I would only see another TT about once per month. Now, there's a few in town, but I still don't see them more than once a week usually, but people rarely ask me about it any more. Maybe it's just because I live in a relatively small town, and I drive it a lot, so they've all seen it...I dunno.

As for the negative attention, I've seen that too...Mainly when I go to larger cities like Chicago. If I'm in a long line of traffic in the left lane, people in the right lane will will get right next to me and force their way into my lane. I've chalked it up to them thinking "he's got an expensive car...He'll get out of the way."
Old 12-27-2002, 07:19 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has died down mostly, but I still love the questions about the car, particularly

from older people who really seem to appreciate the design and styling. Usually ignore the racer types unless I'm in the mood to dust some kid off the road...harmless fun sometimes.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Hondas are the worst, always gotta blow by when you reach your speed, not seeming to realize

that the only reason they have caught up is that you have allowed them to do so. The bigger the exhaust tip and wing, the worse it is. I''ve also noticed, on the highways, twisties up here, Suburbans love to get on my tail and hang on... I'll blow them away and then settle back, inevitably here they come again to hang on my bumper. Three plus years later and I am still getting the stares, of course I can understand the reason, I have the best damn looking car in town 8^)
Old 12-27-2002, 07:23 AM

Default I agree, that people try to cut me off more in the TT. Also I always drive with the headlights

on even in the daytime because the car is small, and in my case a dark color. And I'm convinced that people just don't notice the car coming sometimes and will pull into traffic from side roads right in front of me. There have been a few here on this board that have had accidents with folks pulling in front of them, having never seen them coming, kind of like riding a motorcycle and never being seen.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:27 AM
Elder Member

Default Less today than 2 years ago, but still much more than any other car I've owned....

The race challenges, however, haven't died down at all. Practically everything that pulls up next to me seems to want to go. Way too much traffic here to f*ck around most of the time so I let them have their own personal jollies as they fire away "thinking" they slamed me. Now, inch up to me on the Turnpike or 295 and I'm more likely to accept the slapped glove challenge!

I haven't noticed more discourteous driving but that's because everyone drives that way around here.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:42 AM

Default Thanks for the replies... probably doesn't help that...

I'm only 23 which means I probably still look like I'd want to be "boy racer"... not that I don't enjoy spirited driving when conditions are safe (dry pavement, no traffic, etc.), but I don't feel the need to race constantly no matter what. At my age I can't afford a speeding ticket insurance-wise either - it's already high enough!

Well, I'll definately take the good along with the bad because I'm loving this car.

Thanks again! I look forward to meeting some of you at various meets in the not-too-distant future... You all seem like very nice people!
Old 12-27-2002, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Drive with the top down, especially on a very cold day

People are much more courteous then. I guess they feel sorry for (or alarmed by) the crazy person all bundled up like a snowman, but they seem to give me a very wide berth!

Quick Reply: TToo much aTTention?