TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TTR Battery problem. Need help! Dealer useless....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTR Battery problem. Need help! Dealer useless....

Hello all.
I am new to the forum thought this would be a good place to come for help. I am having battery problems, I am on my fourth in only 2 months. The dealer can not understand the problem. I last about a week or so then go to start the car and nothing. Battery dead no power what so ever. Battery will not take a charge and has to be towed to the dealer. They have had the car 4 times now in only a few months, each time they keep it for 3 to 4 days. I do not drive the car a lot, I only have 9,000 miles in 18 months. I tend to drive mainly on the weekends.

The dealer is useless, first of all they just replaced battery saying must be bad. Second time said it was another bad battery even though I said what are the odds. They tested it and said everything was fine. 3rd time said they could not find any problems and changed battery again. Each time I lasted about a week or so before problems start again. The last time they claim they spoke to Audi and that there was a known problem with the light switch, I guess shorting or something. Anyway they replaced the Battery and the light switch. All was fine until today. Went to start the car and nothing.... They told me that the alternator and all the electrics are fine. They even at one point claimed I must be leaving the lights on????

I am at a dead end with these guys but I am reluctant to take it to another dealer becuase I will have to go through the same **** again.

Does anyone have any idea's. The alarm is the only thing I can see that is on. I know I am NOT leaving my lights on and the interior light is off. The car is always in the garage and at night I check to see if I can see light coming from anywhere. The only thing I have noticed is the fan will stay on for sometime after the car is turned off but from what I can remember that is pretty normal.

I bought the car in MA but live and had the car registered in CT. Anyone know which state I would use for the "Lemon Law" or could I use both. Time is up for MA but I can still get in on CT law.

If any of you can help I would be very grateful. I am at my wits end.

Alan Batchelor
The car was great for 16 months then this....
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something is wrong with your charging system. I'd still try another dealer.

I've noticed a wide variation in dealer service compentency based on my experience and what I've read on this forum. I've switched dealers and my current one is much better than others I've been to.

And you are right, this forum is the perfect place to come for help! I would hate my TT by now if it weren't for what I've learned from the people on this forum.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Something is wrong with your charging system. I'd still try another dealer.

Thanks for the support. Maybe I should try another dealer. There is another close to me.

Thanks Again.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You've got a power drain somewhere....>>

Dealer needs to put some metering on the battery and pull one fuse at a time until the offending circuit is located. You can then narrow it down to the component that is shorted or draining power. A charging test can be accomplished pretty easily (put a voltmeter across the battery) so if they say that's OK it probably is..... You need to find a dealer who can handle this...
Old 11-28-2002, 11:45 AM

Default Re: You've got a power drain somewhere....>>

This is my Problem. The dealer reckons they have had the car on a monitor for a week and nothing is wrong. I think it might be time to try another dealer.

Thanks for the advice...