TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TTS? Avus?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 10:06 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TTS? Avus?...

There's little doubt in my mind that Audi had intended on releasing a TTS. That is, a faster, more sporty version of the current TT.

However, with some of the negative publicity over high-speed accidents involving TTs on the Autobahn in Germany, it is certainly possible that they are rethinking this.

It appears that Audi is working on a release of the Avus (nothing official at this point), which will take styling cues from the TT. I'm thinking that Audi might kill the TTS to concentrate on the Avus. Any other info/opinions?
Old 01-07-2001, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't noticed any RECENT negative publicity. What have you heard?
Old 01-08-2001, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't think so. The tooling is in place for a TTS, easier than the Avus to get it into production.

Even if the TTS is a place holder, or is sold along side the Avus.
It's too easy form the standpoint that the supplier network is already in place, to supply more base parts for a TTS. The Avus is all new design, unknown how many, if any would be cross-over parts.
Late 2001, 2.6 V6 265 hp??
Old 01-08-2001, 04:39 AM

Default steel wheels

Did you paint your steel wheels?
Old 01-08-2001, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, they came gloss black.
Old 01-08-2001, 04:46 AM

Default watch.. I'll throw $10k in mods and they release the 285hp version that would mod to 350...

I would $hit a brick!
Old 01-08-2001, 06:11 AM

Default Some reasons why they would and wouldn't build an Avus...

<b>Why they wouldn't.</b>

<i>The Avus is much more expensive to produce.</i> That's why they didn't build it (or the ubercool 'Quattro Spyder') to begin with. The cost of creating new tooling for the cars would have rendered either one unprofitable. PERHAPS today's technology and global economic climate might facilitate a cost-effective production of the Avus, but I'm guessing it would still be a huge risk.

<i>The Avus is a Supercar.</i> If they build an Avus, it will not be in the same market segment as the TTS. Not by a longshot. I have read numbers putting the Avus at 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, with a top speed of 211 mph. That's insane stuff. It's a much bigger car than the TT, yet it weighs less. It costs serious bucks to shave that kind of weight from a car... expensive materials and manufacturing techniques. If they build it, I don't think they'd make more than 100 or so per year, and again... it's not in the same league as a TTS. It's not going to complete for sales, and they wouldn't be using the same factory floorspace for an Avus, so it isn't a reason to abandon the TTS project.

<b>Why they would.</b>

<i>The Avus is a supercar.</i> As my January 2001 issue of Car & Driver says, the production of supercars has risen dramatically as of late. A lot of long-dormant marques are back in the action. Perhaps Audi wants a piece of this action.

<i>The "Project Rosemeyer" car</i>, basically a Lambo with a TT/Auto Union GP styled body on top, might be just what you're talking about. Or maybe it's the design study for a possible production supercar. But it's no Avus. Plus, in my opinion, the Project Rosemeyer car is butt-ugly.

<i>Audi likes all-aluminum construction, and the Avus is the poster-car for it.</i> How better to sell A2's than to have a car to point to an say "the technology in your A2 was developed for the Avus".

That's my take on it.
BTW, those ultra-freshly-roasted coffee beans are super, Brad. Yum!!!
Old 01-08-2001, 06:13 AM

Cross-over parts? Maybe the turn-signal stalk. That'd be about it, unless they redesigned the Avus
Old 01-08-2001, 06:57 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default After reading EC mag about the abt TT in DTM it seems TT not destined for "supercar"...

the article mentioned "big problems with downforce in fast corners" and that the short wheelbase and other aerodynamic issues diminished it's performance. Fast in a straight line though. Sure this is an 8 cylinder engine and built to suit the series but maybe the TT fits it's niche as a street car and another larger performance model more suitable for high power/speed freaks will surface based on another chassis.
Old 01-08-2001, 06:59 AM

Default The name "Avus" is now tentatively used for a sports coupe related to the new A4 platform (more)

It was introduced as a hot rumor about 18 months ago. It may be something more extreme than the 4-seat A4 coupe (another, newer rumor), or it may turn out to be the same. Either way it will have the engine bay and drivetrain to allow close-to-supercar performance, if Audi wants to do that at a later stage in the development.

Quick Reply: TTS? Avus?...