TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT's on the Brain (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT's on the Brain (Long)

Hey all...had a few interesting experiences the last few days and am looking for some guidance from all the TT experts out there. I'm currently working in Germany and looking at German Spec TTs for purchase given the nice discounts that can be had on them. From day one I assumed that a 225TTC was the car for me but being unable to find one to test drive yesterday I pulled into Europecar and amazingly found a 180 Frontrac Roadster with 3,000km waiting for me. So I rented it and drove it for 24hrs. Overall, I was very impressed with the car, loved the size, very cool looking, and the 180 was fun if not overpowering. Space is not a huge factor for me as I'm single, but the roadster clearly makes even trips with two people a chore in packing. Found the handling a little funky in the curves, guessing this was expected understeer, but it just felt a little odd...still motoring around German backroads under the stars with the wonderful heated seats was fantastic...No trunk and winter weather performance concern me.
So today I go back to the original used dealer with my rental and step right into a used 1999 225TTQ with 72,000km (44700miles) on it assuming that this would be the car for me as it will run me around 17k tax free and give me extra trunk space and winter capability. I couldn't believe the difference...now don't get me wrong the 225 was stronger and worlds better in the curves....runs on rails isn't far from how it felt...and we got it going insanely fast in the turns.....but two things really stood out in a direct jump from the two cars....First that the 225 coupe clutch felt twice as heavy as the 180 roadster and that the 225 in general felt very bulky and heavy overall.. Is this normal due to the uprated engine specs? Or is this clutch just old or needing adjustment? The difference was very very noticeable and I felt would be a drain for daily driving.... The used car's brakes also felt a lot less grippy than the brand new car's, now perhaps this was because we were going faster but the roadster felt sure and safe under breaking with the usual VAG super grippy brakes...whereas the 225 felt like it didn't have enough stopping power at times...not sure exactly why....
My bottom line assessment was that the weaker, supposedly heavier roadster w/power top, had a Miata like feel to it, light and tossable, where as the 225 was hard core...great for the track but not as fun around town...I have never been a convertible guy nor have I figured that an AWD 225HP car would feel less enjoyable to me but this was my immediate reaction and I can't believe it!!....If I drove a road course to work every day I'd get the 225 I tested in a heartbeat as it's cheaper to boot...but for pure motoring fun I couldn't believe how great the little roadster was. Anyone else deal with these issues? Specifically overall feel and weight of the clutch, and of the cars in general? Could this be the difference between a brand new and more used vehicle? Have I been out in the roadster with the top down and sun out too much? Would a different 225TTQ perhaps have such a different feel? Comments appreciated....Thanx...
Old 04-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Elder Member

Oh my. 5pm EST and I can't read a paragraph with no line breaks.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Frontrac vs Quattro is my conclusion...

Without the quattro system the car is much lighter. So, there is your theroy about that.

The roadster was probably several hundred pounds lighter. The 225 had the quattro which lets you take those nice turns that you experienced.

Since the 225 had 44k miles I am assuming the brakes were probably in need of replacement. I have great stopping power on my 225 (20k miles) but as some others have mentioned here the stock brakes do leave something to be desired. Aftermarket pads (if not also rotors) are the way to go.

Also, the roadster has more body roll than the coupe, which helps the coupe in the turns.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default RE: the clutch

It's normal.
The feel of the 6-speed tranny (including clutch) is completely different than the 5-speed. Personally, I like it. I offset fatigue by going to neutral at stops and taking my foot off the pedal. IMO, the 6-speed clutch is much more linear than the 5speed and easier to lanch and shift smoothly.
As far as braking goes.....welcome to quattro )
The extra weight will get you every time. It takes a bit to learn but once you do, you will exit corners faster than most cars can.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:27 PM

Default RE: the clutch

Ok, that makes sense...feel should be very different...is it heavier to cope with the extra horsepower then or just because it's a zex gang (6Sp) as they call them over here??
Old 04-09-2002, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I haven't driven a FrontTrack but...

I've never found the 225s clutch to be tiring, even in the worst LA traffic.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:37 PM

I have. I drive in a moderate amount of traffic and it is a damn heavy clutch..
Old 04-09-2002, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure if it's the HP or the zex....

Most likely stiffer to deal with the extra torque AND a characteristic of the whole 6-speed setup.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL, my friend had a '78 trans am with a 500 race motor...

Now THAT had a heavy clutch.
The TT's clutch is the heaviest I've felt since then.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:46 PM

Default Re: I have. I drive in a moderate amount of traffic and it is a damn heavy clutch..

I just think it's funny as I've been reading every TT car review I can get my hands on and I've never read anything about something as simple a clutch feel comparison between the models...good to have a forum....Thanx

Quick Reply: TT's on the Brain (Long)