TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT's significance

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-1999, 12:40 AM
edwww

Default TT's significance

On the Edmund's Auto site, there's a TT section in which much has been argued about the TT's performance, especially w/ respect to Trans Ams, Camaros, and Mustangs. I decided to put in my 2 cents worth and thought it may be appreciated here as well. Forgive my indulgence. <p>----------------------------------------<p>There's something missing in the recent posts debating the TT--it's likely impact on automotive history. <p>It is untenable to argue that the TT is the best-performing car, but I doubt many people who spend a significant amount of time driving one will be disappointed. Almost all of the professional reviewers, the auto press, have commended the TT's performance. Whether the performance is worth the price is debatable, but most of the people buying the TT will likely be quite pleased. For me, the combination of performance, esthetics, quality, and practicality (hatchback, cargo room) is the best I can find today.<p>The design of the TT, inside and out, is what is selling the car, not it's performance--either subjective (drivers' reviews) or objective (performance figures). And this applies to most other cars. How many of you would buy a Chevy Lumina that performs like a Corvette? If GM wanted, they could put in an engine, suspension, etc. that would make the Lumina outperform anything on the market today. But it wouldn't be as desirable as the Vette (assuming similar pricing). <p>Whether or not one thinks it is attractive, the TT<br>certainly is unique. It will undoubtedly influence exterior and interior designs for years,<br>perhaps decades, to come, unlike most cars on the<br>road today, no matter how they perform. <p>Before dementia sets in, most of us will likely<br>remember the TT in our old age. I'll bet that<br>after we've passed away, automotive/transportation<br>design students will find references to this little<br>car, and possibly even be inspired. And that, I<br>believe, for all of us that love cars, makes the TT far more special than collected data can convey.
Old 07-13-1999, 02:08 AM
Neil M

Default Give that man a cigar (nt)

nt
Old 07-13-1999, 02:40 AM
Denny

Default Exactly

You captured the TT for me in your note. Did not buy it because it's the best performing car on the road. Bought it because it spoke to me. That has never happened to me before. Yet, I still would not have bought it if the FWD wouldn't help me get up my steep driveway in winter and the cargo area wouldn't let me put my golf clubs and a big suitcase in it. All-in-all, it has style, design, a uniqueness that is non-defineable, practicality and uniqueness. Don't even have the urge to get the 225 when it comes out. Thouroughly enjoy this liTTle package just the way it is. My friends with hoTTer engines don't understand that the speed is not the only attraction. I don't care if I can't beat a Boxster down the highway (but, on any given Sunday, I'd take my chances.) Thanks for a great post.
Old 07-13-1999, 04:17 AM
Joe

Default Good Show

Well put! I'm not one to typically buy on looks alone, but my impromptu evaluation was that the TT180 had "reasonable" power. If any of those Camaro-Mustang meatheads give the TT trouble, all the TT driver need do is lead them to a curvy road, where the more balanced, far more road-hugging TT will eat them for breakfast.<p>I think it was Automobile magazine who said, in their review of the TT, that a sports car is not reduceable to 0-60 times, but rather is a blend of performance and aesthetics. If I wanted a drag racer, there are $22K Z-28s. For an extra $10K, you're not buying more power with the TT -- you're buying sophistication. <br>Joe
Old 07-13-1999, 10:16 AM
Jim Torongo

Default Very well put. NT

JIM
Old 07-13-1999, 10:50 AM
smiTTy

Default Re: TT's significance

To edwww: Prost!<p>Well said!<p>Some of our TT's will be winning blue ribbons at Pebble Beach auto shows lonnng after the doors of these primitive Camaros & Firebirds have fallen off their rusty hinges. [I'll excuse the Mustang here only because of its sweet DOHC Cobra engine.] <p>To the uninitiated: The one key word that sums up any "pure" sports car is BALANCE. Particularly, a proper balance of the car's virtues. I firmly believe that, regardless of price, the TT is one of the most supremely balanced cars available in the world today. No contest when you factor in the easily justified price of entry! One knock: rear seat room. But--WHO CARES?!! I would not want any more than 1 passenger anyhow--too much distraction from the matter at hand: ENJOYING my TT!
Old 07-13-1999, 10:54 AM
Monica L.

Did someone say cigar ??? (nt)
Old 07-13-1999, 10:58 AM
Linda Tripp

Yo, Monica, haven't you gotten your TT into enought trouble already? (nt)
Old 07-13-1999, 04:35 PM
Jack Geoff

Default Re: TT's IN -significance

About those rusty ol' Camaros and Firebirds at Pebblebeach being forgotten for a 'TT'. Well, I know that I'll be admiring an award winning 69' Camaro Z28 and a 70' Firebird T.A. convertable which will be shown at the upcoming Concourse D' Elegance in Auburn Hills, Mi. The only 'TT-s' that will be there will be parked in the visitors parking area - not on the concourse !
Old 07-13-1999, 09:02 PM
Noriko

Default Completely agree!

Loved your message. Performance/Design issue is exactly what I told my friend in Japan who is loving his Honda S2000. He hints to me about the performance issue of TT, but I just love everything about the car, especially all the details in interior and how well everything is designed. You can tell Freeman Thomas had lots of fun desinging it and he did a great job!! Thanks for your post. I may be getting my TT VERY SOON!!!