TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turbo Glowing Red

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Glowing Red

How bad is it that my turbo is glowing red hot after i drive it? Anyone else had this problem? I think i am over working it b/c i am running a k04 on k03 Giac software...I just put it in yesterday. I guess i shouldnt drive it untill i get the new software.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Something is VERY wrong. That shouldn't happen except under VERY hard driving.

I'm surprised your car is running at all, to be honest with you...

Let it sit until you can get the correct software.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You could have a boost leak somewhere..
Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that may be cool to look at, but somethings not right. i wouldn't drive it w/o correct software
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Very common

Especially on a KO3 or KO4 where you are moving alot of air through a tiny exhaust housing....
Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 AM

Default I could be WAY off here, but, that doesn't sound right to me.

How could a turbo running so hot be ANYWHERE near its efficiency range?

Also, that charge air will be so super-heated that it will probably be losing power.

I'm still shocked that his car is running right at all with that software issue going on...
Old 07-15-2005, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You might have a problem.

It shouldn't be glowing red unless you were really pushing it like at a track event. If it's doing this with normal street driving I say wait for your new software, look for boost leaks, make sure the turbo is in good condition (even if it's new it could have a defect). Start with the software first and then go from there.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Mixing up which side of the turbo is glowing

The exhaust housing is glowing not the compressor housing.. While the exhaust housing does effect effciency.. as in if its too small it will incerase manifold pressure which means the engine has to work harder to get air out of it. It does not mean the air is being super heated. If the comp housing was not running effciently then it would, as in making more boost then it should be or trying to flow more air then its capable (via boost or high rpms) then you would see an increase in inlet temps.. which would make the car just not run at peak power but would still run fine.

A glowing turbo is 100% normal every turbo does it at some point if you are using it for what its designed..
Old 07-15-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Yes, but my thoughts are as follows:

Since his software is VERY wrong for his turbo, his car is running VERY badly.

He can't really run it hard at all since that is (I'm assuming, here, based on what I've seen from other cars in similar situations) the case.

His turbo isn't being 'used' as it's supposed to be, and something is clearly not functioning as it should be... Enough heat to make the turbo glow red without really running the car means that there are major issues.

No?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Don't worry, after hard driving mine goes even beyond red (yellowish)...

Even under normal grandma-style driving I can still make out a red shade behind the engine when I turn it off at night.

Quick Reply: Turbo Glowing Red