TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Which type of Mobile 1 ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like it to me...

More racing teams use Mobil 1 than any other oil. Porsche, Mercedes, and Aston Martin still fill their cars with Mobil 1 at the factory. When all of those racing teams and manufacturers say 'don't use Mobil 1 anymore, it sucks now', then I might be inclined to believe them....but product-bashing on the web? Um, ok.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:27 PM

Default sure but you dont seriously think that they are using off the shelf stuff do you?

Mobil 1 makes alot of real top notch products...but can you find their good stuff at a local walmart?? Castrol for example which could arguably could be said to be used just as much as mobil 1 in racing... provides special race oils and fluids that arent readily availble to the public...
Old 07-29-2002, 12:35 PM

Default from my redline bottle sitting in front of my face...

API CF/Ce/SJ/SH/SG check their website...for more certifications. Posting information about Redline isnt doing anybody a disservice... Neither is posting info about AMSOIL... I think its you that has your facts out of whack.. AMSOIL is straight Base 4... the tri syn is a blend..what is in debate is how mobil 1 defines base 4 and base 3. The castrol court case changed all this...sides Redline might not be specifically approved for Audi, but it is approved by other companies such as BMW...you cannot void your warranty using these products to infer so is misleading..AMSOIL has several different vw specs on some of their oils...You know MObil 1 retail line is not the be all and end all of motor oils... but I would still say their race grades and industrial lubricants are still quite good..
Old 07-29-2002, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

those manufacturers recommend using 'off the shelf' Mobil 1 in their cars
Old 07-29-2002, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

boy, you sure opened a can of worms...I use 5W-30 in mine, BTW...lol
Old 07-29-2002, 12:58 PM

Default yeah and as part of warranty service up here they use Castrol 15w50 for oil changes...

when the manual clearly states otherwise... If you havent checked out either Redline or AMSOIL you should...these are top quality products... people that use them dont tend to switch back...look at SCCA its mostly Redline being used...ask around these oils have a good reputation...with an almost cult like following... unlike Duralube, Slick 50 and other additives these two oils arent snake oils...sides if you have so much wonderful faith in companies like Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline are you aware of some of the other products they push on consumers? such as slick 50 and some of the others... Valvoline doesnt even manufacture is own synthetic..its tolled out...
Old 07-29-2002, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are digging deeper, still wrong...

Check the API website, which lets you search for all licensees - they're not there. Also, they do NOT have the API starburst on the label, they have deceiptful claims of "for API service such-and-such," which are meant to mislead consumers into believing they are certified when, in fact, they are not. (I'll note that amsoil does have one of their oils certified, XL7500, AIR. The rest, however, are not.)

Amsoil at one time claimed that they weren't certified because to do so they would be forced to disclose their secret formula. When it was pointed out that the only disclosure required was information which could be easily obtained in any tribology lab, they change to saying that the licensing costs were too much. When it was pointed out that it costs less than $1000 and fractions of a penny per quart to license an oil, they started claiming that it cost too much to run the tests.

Well, fine, they just dug their own hole - if they don't do the testing because it costs too much, then they clearly cannot claim to meet the specs - they don't have the test results necessary to make that claim!

Amsoil is NOT straight PAO (Group, not base, IV). It, along with _all_ other reasonably formulated motor oils using PAO, also contains a small fraction of esters (polyol-ester, in amsoil's case, AIR). Esters are necessary to properly hold the additive package and to maintain seal integrity.

Feel free to look up the MSDS for Mobil-1, it contains esters and alkyls in quantities around 1%. Yes it's a "blend," and no, it's not significantly different than amsoil in that one regard.

There was not "Castrol court case," you are wrong again. Castrol won a claim before an industry marketing board which allowed them to call their Group III basestock oil (Syntec) a synthetic. There was no court involved, and it did not set any legal precedent.

Yes, amsoil puts "VW 505.00" on some of their oils. They're lying to you. They don't meet that specification, either. To do so they would have to run some VW specific empirical tests on a blueprinted test engine, something they also don't do.

Finally, you are again incorrect - Audi can indeed deny warranty coverage for failures caused by use of lubricants which do not meet their maintenance recommendations - recommendations which call for use of an API certified oil, which amsoil and redline are NOT.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Listen, I never said there was anything wrong with Redline...

I've always used it in differentials and transmissions, but honestly for the engine, I have to go with what they use in Z06's, AMG Mercedes, Porsche GT3's etc.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Listen, unless you are using Quaker State crap, I think that you're okay with Mobil 1,

Especially if you change your oil as often as I do.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that's a dealership issue, not a manufacturer issue