TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Update on battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on battery replacement

Yesterday I posted a thread asking for information on replacing the battery in the TT. My car, an early 2000 model, needed a new battery after let sitting for approximately one week. The replacement went more smoothly than I had expected. The biggest issue was actually getting the battery since I live in the city of Chicago. I had originally debated about acquiring the replacement battery from Sears; however, I am glad I waited to purchase it from the Audi dealer.

Yesterday morning I contacted Fletcher-Jones Audi and was pleasantly surprised to find the price of the OEM battery priced comparable to Sears, $104 versus $99.99 plus trade-in at Sears. I should note that there are two batteries specified for the TT, one type (60 Ah) for the coupe and another (82 Ah) for the roadster. Evidently the extra "capacity" is for the power top.

The installation was relatively straightforward save for the removal and re-installation of the lower clamp. It requires reaching down toward the bottom of the battery box to remove the clamp and bolt assembly. The car started without problem and the nothing other than the clock needed to be reset.

I should also note that a search on battery replacement yielded a posting suggesting that the intermittent CD/radio display in the IP could be due to a failing battery. I had this problem several days before my battery failed and I am glad to report that the display is now functioning properly. It is either a bug in system or a de facto voltmeter. If your TT is over three years old and your radio display in the IP starts to fail consider replacing your battery.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan
NM TT#11
Old 11-19-2002, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I was wondering if the roadster needed that "extra" power. LOL! BTW-Mine was replaced recently...

by the dealer. It sez : 52aH
480 Cold Cranking Amps.
Did I get screwed??

Official spec sheet sez 60aH for both coupe and roadster
Old 11-19-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I do not know

The parts manager consulted the electronic database and the information I posted was what was listed for the MY00. The specification may have changed for MY 01+.

Thanks for your help yesterday,

John
Old 11-19-2002, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess that matches what I thought. If only I could recall where I read about the difference...