TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Update on my tranny problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 04:01 PM
Brad Willis

Default Update on my tranny problems...

Well this whole transmisson thing has certainly stirred things up a bit around here, and I know that there are at least a few who wish that the subject would go away altogether, so that we can get back to talking about cupholders, or how lousy the Bose stereo is, or whatever.<p>Nonetheless, on my TT, it looks like they're going to replace only the 2nd gear syncro, rather than the entire transmission. My dealership said that Audi knows that there is a problem with some of the 2nd gear syncros. According to him, it's very possible that some of the replacement transmissions have the same problem. So instead of putting in a new tranny that might be defective, they are going to replace the syncro with a new syncro that they "know" is okay.<p>Replacing the syncro is apparently a more complex operation than replacing the entire tranny. I just hope that it works okay this time. If not, I can invoke the lemon law at that stage and demand a refund (I hope that it doesn't come to that though).
Old 08-12-1999, 04:44 PM
mne

Default Re: Food for thought Brad...

You might insure that when they replace that synchro they also go ahead and replace 2nd gear. The grinding your hearing is NOT the synchro, its the gear itself. They probably would anyway, but couldnt hurt to ask them to actually see it. A good syncro can 'mask' a chewed gear, but its a down-the-road problem that could rear its head post-warranty. Besides, they make a novel paperweight. Be the first on your block to own the now infamous 2nd gear TT paperweight/pencil holder desk set from Audi. Available for a limited time only... ideally.