TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

UPDATE on my transmission fluid/grind, squeaky brakes, and I need a new dealer! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE on my transmission fluid/grind, squeaky brakes, and I need a new dealer! (long)

Here's an update on my transmission issue, and other things...

Just to review, my 2001 225 coupe had been experiencing the 2nd-to-3rd gear grind at high RPMs that some of us have been posting about. I had heard that there was a new transmission fluid and houTTini informed me that this solved the problem for him (until recently, we now hear). I took my TT in for 30K mile service, and asked at the same time to have my fluid replaced with this new fluid. (The link the original thread is below.)

I got it back and drove around for about 3,000 miles, assuming all was good with the new fluid. Then someone here asked what the PN of the new fluid is, and I posted what was printed on my invoice. Turns out that that PN is actually DIFFERENTIAL fluid! (Thanks to john s for bringing this to my attention.) It appeared that the tech put differential fluid in my transmission! I took the TT back in this week, and typed up a detailed letter describing the situation, and asked to have either the synchronizers replaced or a new transmission altogether. (I also asked to have the brakes serviced, since they extremely squealy--more on that later.)

When I got the car back I talked to the service advisor about what they did. He told me that they called the Audi tech line to find out exactly what fluid should go in there. He was told to drain out the synthetic fluid (that was supposedly in there at the time) and replace it with standard 75w90 gear oil--something about the synthetic being "too slippery." So that's what they did.

So what about the differential fluid that was on the original invoice? Here's what he told me:

"The tech that worked on your car is out this week, but there was another tech that remembered what happened. He said that when the parts guy brought him the differential fluid, he recognized that this wasn't the correct fluid, and never put it in... But somehow it still ended up on your invoice. Honestly, my gut feeling is that they never did anything, that your fluid was never replaced, and the tech just scribbled something on the service order."

Can you believe that?!! If that is true, they are not performing the services they say they are! This reflects VERY poorly on the credibility of this service department. (I tend to believe him that nothing was ever done, since I never noticed any difference in shifting after that service.) So I got new fluid, that's it.

Now, about my brakes: They have been squealing excessively for about 10,000 miles, I and just couldn't take it anymore. I understand that slight noise from the brakes from time to time is normal, but this is ridiculous. I asked to have the brakes serviced when I brought it in for the 30K service. Supposedly they did something (to the front brakes only), which did NOTHING to cure the squeal. (I complained about the noise after the service, and was told this was normal, I should brake harder, it is caused by brake dust, it will go away eventually, etc. I've been driving around for months since then, including a track event, and they have just gotten worse.) So when I took it back I asked again to have the brakes serviced. I even included a copy of the TSB that addresses the problem of brake squeal and the service to correct it.

They performed the service to the front brakes, and as they were test-driving it, noticed that the rears where squeaking also. No ****, why they didn't do all four at one time is beyond my understanding. So they serviced the rears also--this took another day. I drove the car home and by the time I got home they were squealing again, just as bad as before!

I can't take it any longer. I've had it with this dealer--Continental Audi in Naperville, IL. The service advisors (Mike and Robyn) are very competent and friendly, but the techs just suck! I have to take the car back repeatedly for the same problems! They have never fixed my car perfectly the first time... Not once have I ever given them a "completely satisfied" rating when Audi calls me. They are understaffed... The service manager and a service advisor were both recently fired for poor performance, yet the owner has no plans right now to replace them. I don't know how they expect to maintain any level of quality assurance without a dedicated service manager.

I need a new dealer to service my car. Anyone have experience with Laurel Audi in Westmont?
Old 07-11-2002, 07:44 AM

Default RE: the tranny issue... sounds like a made up B.S. story to me...

what if the syncros crap out right after the warranty ends.... :-(
Old 07-11-2002, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I figure that I've got everything documented.

I figure if something happens outside of warranty, I have proof that they screwed up... It's on the invoice that they installed differential fluid in my transmission, but no where does it say that that's NOT what they actually did.

And if they are putting work on the invoice that never really happened, then that's another thing.

I'm wondering if I should contact AoA while I am still in warranty to have my situation documented with them (other than with just the dealer).
Old 07-11-2002, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It seems like I've heard a lot of bad things about Continental.

I bought my TT at the Laurel location in Tinley Park, and I've heard good things about the service at both locations. I can't speak personally about their service since I live in Indiana, but if you do a search for Laurel Audi, I think you'll probably find some good words. You should probably do some searching to find out where Ego gets his car serviced. I'm pretty sure he's happy with his dealer's service and they just did an engine swap for him recently.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:04 AM

Default SparTTan, I took mine in this morning for the grind..

They are keeping the car at least a week and tearing apart the whole transmission. Klaus from Autogallery drove the car and pretty much knew it was the 3rd gear synchro as soon as he got back. Guess I get to trash a neon for a week.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Congratulations; looks like you are getting the problem resolved!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:23 AM

Yup, I hope so.