TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Updated list of those with transmision problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 06:50 AM
Brad Willis

Default Updated list of those with transmision problems...

Some here seem to feel, for reasons which escape me, that there is not a transmission problem with the TT. I spent about 15 minutes searching the a archives, and I discovered the following references to these problems. I doubt that I found all of them. I only spent a couple of minutes on the German TT newsgroup, and they don't have an archive search, so I'm guessing that there were a number of postings that I was unable to locate. Only the last 3 problems are from the German TT newsgroup. Here are the problems that I was able to discover during my limited search...<p>1. MattC 6-25-99. 2nd gear syncro problems. Transmission replaced.<p>2. Brad Willis 7-24-99. 2nd gear syncro problems. Transmission replaced.<p>3. Brad Willis 8-7-99. 2nd gear syncro AGAIN. Appears transmission will have to be replaced for a second time.<p>4. Kurt 6-25-99. 2nd gear syncro problem. Transmission replaced.<p>5. Sai 6-25-99. Said that his dealer replaced the tranny of a non forum member.<p>6. Sai 7-26-99. He is now experiencing transmission problems. Tranny "clanks"when shifting into 2nd gear (probable 2nd gear syncro problem).<p>7. Hal 6-15-99. Problems getting transmission into 2 gears.<p>8. Jay 6-14-99. 1st and 2nd gear problems requiring multiple attempts to engage transmission.<p>9. Steve Mikula Service Manager of Don McGill Audi. 2 non-forum member TTs in at the same time getting transmission replaced.<p>10. TToby 6-25-99. Said his friend is an Audi mechanic who had already replaced "several" TT transmissions. TToby then serched local dealerships for a TT demo to drive. He found one, but the dealer said., "you can sit in it, but that's it, because the transmission's broken."<p>11. DaveO 6-15-99. Lost 3rd gear. New transmission<p>12. Jeffrey Sessler 6-15-99. Reported dificulty engaging 1st gear from a dead stop.<p>13. BillK 7-25-99. 2nd gear syncro grinding (I think his transmission was replaced later).<p>14. Corto 7-26-99. 2nd gear syncro grinding.<p>15. Crisp 7-25-99. 2nd gear syncro grinding. Transmission replaced.<p>16. BLB 6-15-99. Reported notchiness.<p>17. Kurt Alexander 6-14-99. New transmission.<p>18. EnVenice 7-24-99. Rented a TT. ental agency said that it was in the shop for the 1st month getting the transmission replaced.<p>19. Ari Jay Comet 8-8-99. Transmission failing due to 2nd gear syncro problems.<p>20. MNE 8-7-99. Transmission failing. Dealer says replacement is inevitable.<p>21. Jorg Butzbach recent German posting. Transmission replaced.<p>22. Markus Hirsch recent German posting. Transmission replaced.<p>23. Jorg Schoppmeyer recent German posting. Transmission replaced.<p>24. DonK. Transmission replaced.<p>25. John Szobocsan. Transmission failing.<p>26. Robby K. Transmission grinding (syncros).<p>27. DaveW 8-8-98. 2nd gear syncros grinding. Transmission replaced.<p>28. TTiger 8-12-98 (to me via e-mail). 2nd gear syncro grinding.<p>29. sTTeve Rabi 8-9-99. 2nd gear "thunk".<p>30. Frank Martinez 8-12-99. TT in shop for trnasmission problems. <br> <br>
Old 08-12-1999, 07:38 AM
smiTTy

Default Re: Updated list of those with transmision problems...

Thank you, Brad, for this bit of research. <p>WOW!<p>I know that I've been in personal denial over all of the painful TT transmission maladies listed here in the forum by all of those afflicted. I hope all is or soon will be just fine with the replacement trannies. I can only imagine the frustration. <p>Only after I see them all listed above, do I fully realize the widespread nature of this problem. However, I still am as excited as ever while looking forward to the arrival of my 180Q. I am confident that Audi will have "gotten the bugs out" by the time my car is built later this month. I know that my transmission is different from the FWD models'. Hopefully, the dreaded synchro flaw will not reveal itself to me. <p>I think that the analogy regarding one being more willing to put up B.S. from a beautiful woman applies here.<p>Still...my fingers are crossed!<br>
Old 08-12-1999, 07:57 AM
Joe Lucchio

Default TT quattro transmission different from FWD version (nt)

m<br>
Old 08-12-1999, 03:50 PM
Steve Mikula

Default Re: Updated list of those with transmision problems...

correction from archive - 1 linkage from a press car had to be repaired with 8000 hard miles, and 1 trans replacement!