TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Brake lights stopped working a few days ago, and that was an easy enough fix. Unfortunately as soon as I replaced the brake light switch, I immediately had no speedometer. Initially I thought I had just failed to plug something back in correctly, or knocked something loose, but everything is fine under the dash. Then my check engine light came on. Hooked the TT up to a scanner and she read Vehicle speed Sensor. Can someone tell me if this is just a freak coincidence that the VSS went out immediately after replacing the brake light switch? I've read a lot of forum articles about getting a faulty brake light switch and some sketchy articles on the brake light switch causing intermittent errors with the VSS reading. The brake light switch was an easy enough fix that i did it myself, but the VSS is a little more tricky it seems. Speedometer, odometer, mpg reading, and gas gauge all not working. Occasionally the gas gauge will jump around a bit,but the speedometer won't budge, and when I take a corner, 50 % chance my mpg reading will suddenly kick in. Assuming it really is the VSS, has anyone replaced this before? I've located it (thanks to seeing that silver thermal heat bag) but haven't decided the best way to GET to it. Can you access straight from the top, or do I have to drop he tranny or take off the fender/wheel well? She may be old (2000 Audi TT Quattro) but she still likes to move, and that speedometer really needs to work! All replies are appreciated.