TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Waiting List / Dealer Orders - How does all of this work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-1999, 01:03 PM
Jeff M

Default Waiting List / Dealer Orders - How does all of this work?

I showed up at my local Audi dealership to see the TT and get myself on the waiting list. However, my experience was not the same as the ones I have read about. My dealer did not want a deposit. He asked what options I wanted on the car, and said that he would call me if he got a car in that was a close match to my preferences. My name will be up in or around March.

This is fine with me, but it makes me curious as to how dealers get cars from Audi. Do they order them, or do they simply take whatever gets shipped to them? What if the particular color/options combo I'm looking for never comes in? It seems that I should be able to request a car with the exact specifcations X Y and Z, and they should be able to order that car from the factory. But I really don't have clue 1 about how this stuff works.

Can anyone give me some insight into this process?

Thanks...
-Jeff M
Old 10-20-1999, 01:49 PM
Jim Torongo

They order them , and you CAN order what you want; try a different dealer. JIM (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 02:32 PM
John TT

Default Try a different dealer (more)

I'm not positive that it works this way with Audi, but when most manufacturers get a hot car like the TT, its dealers are generally allocated a limited quantity based upon their overall sales volume for that manufacturer. Each month they are allowed to order a limited amount. As far as I understand with the TT, the dealers order exactly what they want and the orders get to Germany at least several weeks before they are produced. Most dealers (mine included) will simply take deposits from people that they have on a waiting list ($500 seems to be the norm). When you come up in their queue, they ask you what you want and place the order.

Look around, you might even get another test drive out of it!!
Old 10-20-1999, 04:01 PM
Michael

Default The Scoop, straight from a dealers mouth...

Right now, According to Beaverton Audi in Portland Oregon, each dealer is alotted a maximum of 12% of there total sales to be TTs. For portland folk, that amounts to 12 TTs a month BTW.

As these cars are produced, they are given the alottment on a month to month basis. I.E. This month you get XX TTs. When other configurations are available, as I was told, they will get a monthly alottment of each. I.E. This month you get X 180Qs, X 180fwds, X 225Qs and X 225 roadsters.

What this means is that there is a separate waiting list for each configuration. This waiting list can be served quickly or slowly depending on the whims of Audi AG.

Based on this, when your number comes up, there becomes a Production slot available you specify your colors and options, they produce the car and then you get a car. (Oh if only life were this simple)

This is all subject to change. As of last time I talked to the dealer, there were three (no two someone bought one while I was there) confirmed production slots available in the month of February 00.

If only I wanted the LP version, my craving would be satisfied.

Currently Beaverton Audi says if you don't want to wait 2 years, find a different car. What I feel based on the recent extra allotment allowed Beaverton, and general readings of this board, you can get the Audi within a resonable time frame provided you speak loudly, often and to multiple dealers...
Old 10-20-1999, 04:07 PM
KIM

Default Re: Waiting List / Dealer Orders - How does all of this work?

My dealer said that they were allocated so many over a set period. In my case it was 5 back in JUne. At which point there was one left, which I could order to my specification....with a refundable $500 dep. A foot note to this, is that I havent got it yet.
Old 10-20-1999, 04:08 PM
Michael

Default Sorry, I meant

February delivery, not February production...
Old 10-20-1999, 04:44 PM
Dave

Default Re: Waiting List / Dealer Orders - How does all of this work?

As I understand it and the way it has worked for me (although I do not have a vehicle yet) the dealer gets an allocation based on how big they are in the area and can order a specific vehicle. The order goes in and it takes about 6 months to build the vehicle to those specs. The car is built in Gyor, Hungary which is just across the border (60 miles) from Vienna. The car that I will get was just a spec car and happened to be what I was looking for. Should be here in January or February.

Good Luck and I understand they are worth waiting for,\.

Dave B