TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wanting a TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting a TT

Hi there,

I'm considering a TT Roadster and wanted some information from current owners on reliability, performance, handling, and general advice information about the TT.

Thank you.

Ali
Old 04-02-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Wanting a TT

Owning a TT is not just owning a car, but a statement. There are other car that can outperform and handle the TT according the all the magazine editors, but none of the other cars can do it with the style of the TT. I just hit 1k in my coupe and I haven't stopped smiling yet.

Do your research on the TT on the web and in this group and nothing will sway you from getting a TT if it's the car for you.

These are the ranting of an insane man who suffer from a lack of sleep.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:04 PM

Default I agree.....

do your research and make your own decision,
but i just bought mine and i have put 1100 on mine and i am so in love its unreal
Old 04-02-2003, 02:21 PM

Default I've had my TTQR for seven months...

I have 8500 miles on it and not a single complaint. Since moving to Madison, Wisconsin, I average around 8000 miles a year on my car. As you can see, I go out of my way to drive my TT... any where, any time, for any reason. Different car magazine editors rave about car style, looks, etc., but I don't ride on the outside of my car, I ride on the inside - and nothing out there compairs to the TT interior!! Bar none!!! It's fun to drive, reliable (at least mine sure is), draws lots of attention if you are after that sort of thing, and will compete with anything on the street from stop light to stop light, or faster. Oh, and I drive mine year round in ice, snow, rain, and shine! Slap on the mudd & snows and giver 'er hell.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2 years for my 180 (chipped) roadster - 28K - no problems!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:24 PM

Default My opinions and experience:

Reliability
No problems, maybe rate it 9 out 10 for a couple of minor issues.
Performance:
This car performs better than the press gives it credit for. I am chipped, lowered, and better struts to make it even better. This baby goes like stink.
Handling: see above, a little tight but can be dealt with, quattro rules in all conditions.
General Advice:
Re sale is not a good as I thought it would be but then what car has good resale? Silver is the best color, baseball turns heads. For all out performance you can find better, for all around value (performance, style, quality) you are hard pressed to do better.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2003, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have to agree with everyone else. I have a 2002 225 HP TT roadster, and a 2003 M3. I like both cars, bur I have to agree that the TT's styling interior and exterior is tops. No quality problems after a year. Also, if you want a car that turns heads, the TT is for you. When I drive my M3, I get second looks from car enthusiasts that comprise maybe a couple percent of the population. To the rest of the people my M3 is just another BMW, and in my area they are everywhere. The Audi on the other hand seems to impress almost everyone. In my opinion the TT is the best value out there for someone who wants a relatively comfortable and affordable sports car.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:00 PM

Thank you everyone. All of your comments and remarks have been valuable. I will continue my research and join your ranks shortly = )

Ali
Old 04-03-2003, 08:11 PM

My situation:

I have a 180FWD Roadster on which I have almost 47,000 miles. I have had it for one year and 8 months. I put an APR Stage I chip in five months ago.

<B>Reliability</B>

No problems. I have a small rattle somewhere on the passenger side--only noticable when somone is sitting in the seat and the stereo is turned off.

I have some concerns about the instrument cluster, but it is working (though I see odd readings from the temperature gauge).

<B>Performance</B>

The 180 performs well, but not "amazing." You want to be careful who you get into arguments with--you can be left in the dust.

That said, one reason I got the 180 over the 225 is performance. This is my first "performance-oriented vehicle" (there've been battles here as to whether to use moniker "sports car" for the TT, so I'll leave that alone. Hopefully you know what I mean) and the turbo lag of the 225 really bothered me. I knew it was something I would "get used to", but I wasn't sure if I would get used to it before I slammed into the back of someone else.

I think the 180 is a nice "starter" car. With the various chipping options, you can modify the car as you feel more comfortable.

<B>Handling</B>

I got a chance to compare the TT with an SLK230 and a Z3 (I rented each for about a week while my TT was getting it's rear-end fixed). I thought the SLK230 handled poorly. It felt too big and heavy. The Z3, conversely, seemed to handle better than the TT.

<B>General</B>

As others have said, the TT is a great jack-of-all-trades kind of car: It's good at everything but not great at any one thing. As I mentioned above, the SLK230 is far more comfortable than the TT. The Z3 is noisy and is downright unpleasant to be in.

Be prepared to receive attention if you buy a TT. Again, I've had mine for awhile, but I still come out from dinner and find people clustered around my car. Just last weekend, someone in a big ol' Mercedes sedan pulled up next to me at a stoplight and started asking me how I liked the car, how well it performed, etc.

I wish the CD player could randomize across disks.

One thing I did, which helped me decide, was to rent one for a weekend. If you have any kind of "exotic rental" car place near you, I suggest it. A 30 minute test drive with a salesperson yammering at you won't cut it. It might seem like alot of money, but a $250 rental is worth it to avoid making a $40,000 mistake.