TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

water on the leather seats. i'm worried.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water on the leather seats. i'm worried.

i left driver and passenger windows down approx 1.5" when i got to work this morning. it was sunny and i didn't know rain was predicted. late this afternoon i heard people talking about rain. ack ! it was pouring outside. i borrowed an umbrella (which ended up being useless) and ran out to my car to put the windows up. there was a fair amount of water on the seats. because it was raining so hard and i didn't have anything with me to wipe the seats, i put the windows up and went back inside .. pretty much soaked. when the rain let up i grabbed tons of paper towels and went outside to wipe off the seats. that was probably about 15 minutes after i put the windows up. i covered the driver seat with a thick towel and drove home. i see one water spot on the passenger seat, and two funny (i.e., water damaged) areas on the driver seat. needless to say i am bummed and worried that my seats are going to look awful. tho i dried them as much as possible it is VERY humid out right now.

anyone else have this experience ?

i don't know if i'm ever going to leave the windows down again. i'd like to put them down about 1/2 inch, but i can't get them to stay .. when i shut the doors they just go full up again. would re-coding help ?
Old 07-05-2001, 01:36 PM

Default Should be ok...

When the place that tinted my windows did their install, they used a BUNCH of the solution and got is all over my door panels. Needless to say, I was pissed. But over time I have used Zaino and Meguires leather conditioner's and the spots have all pretty much faded.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:43 PM

thanks, i'm really glad to hear that. as soon as it gets dry again, i'll do a leather treatment.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:47 PM

Default I would guess okay on the basis of driving a topless Austin Healey around CA for about

3 years. Leather seats often got soaked, yet by the time I moved on to my next car they were in good shape. I guess you caught it when you went out to remove the pebbles from your tire treads.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:53 PM

Cows sit out in the rain.. they are ok =)
Old 07-05-2001, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This leather seems pretty resiliant

I usually put a bottle of water in the passenger seat, and the condensate from the bottle rubs onto the seat. I think as long as you are cleaning and protecting the seats on a regular basis, you shouldn't worry too much. I have had no problems.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:35 PM

i must have pulled out at least 3 oz worth. :-)
Old 07-05-2001, 02:55 PM

Did you determine the precise weight of each particle extracted?
Old 07-05-2001, 02:57 PM
Elder Member

They'll be fine - just need to air out.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't sweat it, dammitt....I left my top down in a thunderstorm...

last summer. I had about 1-2 inches of standing water in the car when I finished eating....(I know, who in their right mind leaves the top down when they go into a restaraunt? --- Me, so that I can answer from experience when my buds feel anxious!) Anyhow, I used terry towels and a dehumidifier to dry out the interior -- followed by full sun for a half day. Leather did seem sort of 'dried out', but I bought a product called "Soffener Leather Conditioner" from Car Care Specialties at link provided below (or 877-796-8300)....and wah-lah! My seats feel better than new!

BTW, they sell all kinds of car goodies....and I highly recommend them!!!<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com">Car Care Specialties, Inc.</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: water on the leather seats. i'm worried.