TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

this is way OT, using Outlook Express on an iMac, where in the heck are messages stored?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is way OT, using Outlook Express on an iMac, where in the heck are messages stored?

I'm setting up a new computer and wish to transfer some of my saved msgs from the old iMac to the new iMac, I'll be damned if I can find any files where saved, sent, deleted, etc msgs are stored. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 12-20-2002, 04:11 AM

No idea, but did you try doing a search for *.pst?
Old 12-20-2002, 04:30 AM
Elder Member

Default You should be able to perform an Export of the messages . . .

as well as the addresses. I have not used OE on an iMac, but try: File --> Export --> Messages. If that does not exist, still look for an Export --> Messages somewhere.

You will then be able to export the messages to a file and place that file wherever you want. Then import them into the new computer.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:34 AM

Default Dick, either copy the OE Users folder or use follow

instructions in the read me file for upgrading.

All mail, address books, etc are kept in the OE Users folder assuming you're using OE 5.0 or greater. This was called the Identities folder in earlier versions of OE.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:37 AM
Elder Member

Default Here is more info for you . . .

2.3 Maintaining Mail and User Data When Reinstalling Microsoft Outlook Express 5 on Macintosh OS 8.1, 8.5.x, or 8.6
------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do not have a Documents folder on your hard disk, Microsoft Outlook Express stores your mail in the Identities folder in the Outlook Express 5 folder on your hard disk. If you reinstall Outlook Express by recopying the Outlook Express 5 folder to your hard disk, DO NOT replace the existing Identities folder. If you replace this folder, your saved mail and user data will be removed.

>>>To maintain mail and user data when reinstalling:

1. Move the Identities folder from the Outlook Express 5 folder to your desktop.
2. Copy the Outlook Express 5 folder to your hard disk and replace the existing Outlook Express 5 folder
3. Move the Identities folder from your desktop to the Outlook Express 5 folder you copied in step 2.

If you have a system Documents folder on your hard disk, Microsoft Outlook Express stores your mail and user data in the Microsoft User Data folder in the Documents folder.

>>>To maintain mail and user data when reinstalling:
* Copy the Outlook Express 5 folder to your hard disk and replace the existing Outlook Express 5 folder.

NOTE: You can store your Microsoft User Data folder in any location, including a server. However, you should place an alias to that folder in either the system Documents folder or the Outlook Express 5 folder.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool, thanks guys, I knew I could count on the forum, the forum knows all.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:06 AM

Default I thought Express stored in a different format than Outlook???

Last time I checked, Outlook Express stored documents in individual folders based on the folders you store your emails in. Outlook stores documents in a database file with an extension of .pst.