TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Well I got my car back from the 20k service - only problem was replacement seat leather is

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I got my car back from the 20k service - only problem was replacement seat leather is

a different shade of black! It's not quite grey but obviously lighter than the other black leather in the interior. Aside from the color difference - they did a lousy job of stretching it on the seat and replacing the side panels. Unfortunately - I had to pick up the car when the service dept. was closed - but my service writer did leave a note that he knew the color was wrong and to call him. I'll be calling today to see what is up. According to my service writer the part numbers on the seat cover match what he ordered - so i'm not sure what is happening. They also ordered "kits" to replace my flaps in the rear side panels.

I've had this car less than a year - and it always has something wrong with it! Although my service writer has been great and has done his best - i'm really getting tired of this. It's also a bitch to get my car into service since they are about 1 hour away so I can't just drop the car off easily.

I've counted the number of problems I've had with my TT and it has now surpassed the number of problems I had with my GTI which was repurchased by VW! It is unfortunate that a $36k car is built worse than a $22k car. I still enjoy my TT alot - but I sure would like to drive it once with everything working correctly!!!!!!!!!

Go read the new 02 A4 forum - lot's of problems with the new A4's - typical VAG. It seems that it takes two model years for them to work out all the bugs. IMO that's extremely poor. Ok - enough ranting for the day.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:29 AM

Default Where did you get your car from, Joe? Sonnen?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I took my car in a few weeks ago to have my leather replaced, and AoA shipped the wrong cover. The color matched (apparently), but it didn't fit. I'm waiting to get my Wet Okoles ordered before I reschedule the appointment.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:49 AM

Sorry to hear Joe. I wonder though your's is a 180. Have more people had probs with 180s or 225s?
Old 12-31-2001, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I know what you mean. Fortunately the smiles outweigh the frowns.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:57 AM
Elder Member

Default I can explain the seat color . . . sort of . . .

The 2000 model TT's seem to have a true black/ebony leather. The 2001/02 TT's leather is more on the gray side. This was really brought to light last year.

I went down to visit everyone in the VA/DC area. I saw Ellen and Tamara's 225TTR's and asked them both if they had the aviator gray interiors! They were both a little taken aback and said, NO! We then compared their leather to mine and it was literally like night and day.

I have the blackest leather seats I have seen yet. But the '00 TTs have the blackest and the '01, '02 have a lighter shade.

Obviously Audi is saving a few dollars on the amount of dye they are using on the leather.

Very poor quality control from year to year.

It sux about the problems you are having. I also lemoned a GTI, my 1987! But I lost the case way back then. It was actually the dealers fault that I lost, but they traded me a 1988 16V for my 1987 8v almost straight up!
Old 12-31-2001, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Purchased at Diablo in Concord but service it at Neillo in Sacramento...the cover on my car appears

to be the right one but wrong color - but just not installed very well. I left a message with my service writer, hopefully I'll find out what is up.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wonder if the TTR ebony is different from the Coupe or it's a year thing like you said

thanks for the info
Old 12-31-2001, 09:23 AM
Elder Member

Default No, same thing . . .

I just used the TTR's as an example. I have seen literally hundreds of different TT's and the color did change from '00 to '01
The Coupe and TTR have the same light ebondy leather.

It sux, because the dark color looks so much better, but it shows the wear so much more because the leather quality or the dye job just plain sux!
Old 12-31-2001, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just got off the phone with my service writer - he said they ordered another one and it is lighter

as well. UGH! It appears that they have in fact changed the color as you said. He also said the grain is different - and I just checked and it is. My original leather is very smooth with no visible grain, the new cover has a very slight grain to it. He's gonna contact the OTS to see what they need to do now - since all the numbers match. At least they kept the old cover and can put it back on if need be. Maybe I'll just get em both recovered and sell them and buy some real recaros!
Old 12-31-2001, 09:36 AM
Elder Member

Default leave it to a stupid company to change something as basic as seat color!

and then not stock a supply for previous model years! idiots.

Quick Reply: Well I got my car back from the 20k service - only problem was replacement seat leather is