TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

well so much for a TT :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your dad pays your rent and bills? (more)

I really don't mean to be unkind here, but clearly you cannot afford a TT. That your parents just bought a new vehicle has no bearing on this whatsoever. Going in debt so damn far at this early age (and optionally) will go a long way toward eventual regret--especially 4 years or more down the road when you are still paying for a car that is no longer the latest thing..AND perhaps in need of expensive maintenance/repairs.
Old 02-03-2001, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahem... are your priorities really in order?

Sounds like you're living an easy life already, what's the problem? Perhaps you might want to look ahead to your future, as you already have caviar tastes; God forbid you actually have to pay for them.

Seriously, wake the *#@$&@( up! Most people have to work hard and save for years to drive a $40K car... Mommy and Daddy are putting you through college and sheltering you from that mean old tax man. I would ask for your cheese recommendations (you've got the whine part covered) but I just don't want to hear it. Get a clue.
Old 02-03-2001, 09:59 AM

Default i went through this too

When I was 19 I desperately wanted to buy a nissan 240 (hey I was young). It would have seriously put me into debt and at the time i wasnt making much money (would have cost 1/2 my monthly income just on the payment). Im SOOO GLAD I didnt buy it. I ended up getting a really cheap used camry that I didnt have to make payments on. Within a year the nissan was just another average car to me and I knew I wouldn't have wanted to own it still.

Take your time Wishing - theres plenty of time for buying cool cars when you are older. Save your money for now.
Old 02-03-2001, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Master , You are right. ! ( I am 42 ).
Old 02-03-2001, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Wow what happened? When I was 19, I had a used Buick Skylark....Limited Edition mind you!

I'll just have to re-inforce what everyone has indicated here already.

You have very expensive tastes at 19. What will happen when you are 35? I sure hope you have the ability to pull in dollars to buy that Ferrari because there is such a thing as rate of growth in taste for more expensive cars.

At 30, I finally had to convince myself that it was okay to buy an expensive (yes, expensive) $40K car. $40K buys a lot of things, including a huge downpayment on a house.

I don't think you'd have enough money from your oil well dividends if you had to pay taxes on it yourself. Believe me, I know what a huge tax bill means. I can easily purchase a $40K car every 6 months if paying taxes didn't suck me dry.

Count your blessings and go buy a Tercel. Then you can really be proud of what you bought and enjoy it because you earned it!
Old 02-03-2001, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Forgive me for NOT feeling sorry for you.

It's nothing personal, but I've lived with, known, etc different folks that had your situation. Unfortunately, all of them were jerks (and male).

I guess I could never relate when they whined to me that Daddy wouldn't get them some hot rod when I was barely able to afford my '90 Pontiac Sunbird at the time. You know, $200 a month was outrageous to me at the time.

When you work for everything, it makes it all worth while. So far, everyone I knew who had Daddy pay for everything are now close to 30 and Daddy is STILL paying for everything and I broke into six figures on a high school education....
Old 02-03-2001, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think that I had my diesel Rabbit about that age. A pig for sure, but what a great car it was!

It *never* let me down and could plow through the worst of winter with little effort. I should have kept it, but got enticed by a Scirocco.
Old 02-03-2001, 01:06 PM

Default I drove a Scirocco from '77 through '87

Hardly a weekend I wasn't working on it.
Old 02-03-2001, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am 19 too... but there seems to be a lot more issues working here then your age. (long)

I would have to say that most people here on the forum are established business men and women, and work very hard for their money. So when they see that someone else is paying for rent, etc, they are almost offended.

I have the belief and the motto shared with my father, you can do whatever you want, AS LONG as you can afford it. And more often then not, he is right.

I started working around 15 and had a natural talent for computers since 3, so while my friends were making $5/hour at McDonalds, I was making $20/hour consulting companies on web design. I saved some, and spent some, typical teenage thing.

Once I started working I was cut off, that was it, if I wanted money, I had to work for it. I am not going to preach life was rough, but it was very educational. My schooling was paid, and I lived at home, everything else was on me.

I was about to graduate and ran into a GREAT job, paying a lot more money then I was used to, of course I had grand ideas, house, car, etc etc.

I moved out at 19, and paid for everything INCLUDING my college education, that is about $20,000 a year. I got my **** together, and worked full time at the Milwaukee Journal. I started looking into cars, and really wanted an Eclipse, but like you I had no real credit history. Asked my dad for a co-sign- for any car loan, and he said "maybe" also. (we all know what maybe means).

Well to make a long story short, I got the loan myself, through my company bank. My normal bank would have given me on but their rates were somewhere around 11%. Worked out the financing and paid 8%, which was good for me.

So in the end I got my car without any co-signs, hassles, and love every minute of the car, since it is MINE, no one else's. It is a good feeling when you know that everything you have is paid for by YOURSELF. I think that is what frustrated a lot of the forum members. If you want the car you need to find the responsibility to make it all work, but FIRST you need to pay your rent, etc. Once you are out on your own, then I think you can make a much more effective speech to your dad for a co-sign. It is steps, and I think that is the point. You don't just get to the 3rd floor, you need to find a way up.

I wish you the best of luck! But this sounds like it is a little premature. Just remember the billionaire for Hotmail was something like 22 when he made it.

Just make sure you can make it happen, and you are prepared for EVERY possibility.
Old 02-03-2001, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Renault 12 from 1977 to 1988. ( same car !! )

Quick Reply: well so much for a TT :(