TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What RPM should the turbo kick in? It feels kinda jerky to me, but then I've never owned a turbo bef

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2000, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What RPM should the turbo kick in? It feels kinda jerky to me, but then I've never owned a turbo bef
Old 11-05-2000, 03:03 AM

Default it really depends on how you drive... Let me explain..

I knew nothing about turbo before I bought my Audi TT.. so consider this sort of a test of my own knowledge on the "turbo" experience.. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)...

if you drive like a normal person does, then it usually kicks in 1.5-2 seconds after you start accelerating, usually near the 3000RPM range, sometimes later.. the 1.8T engine has an very flat power band, so turbo acceleration is smooth and consistent from 2800-through 5500 RPM's with the turbo. Anyway when turbo hasn't kicked in yet, it's called turbo lag..

That's because it takes about that long for the intercooler to fill up with air before it gets to the turbo, which then does it's job by increasing the compression in the engine giving it more power.

Generally speaking, the larger the intercooler, the longer the turbo lag (because there's more space for air to fill). Turbo lag can be prevented/reduced if you spool the turbo prior to accelerating. This means revving the engine to run the turbo and increase engine compression at take-off. The result is a much more responsive takeoff because your turbo has already "kicked in" at that point.

Another way to prevent turbo lag during an upshift is to blip the accelerator while upshifting.. When the clutch is down, your car is essentially in neutral at that point, and you basically are doing what I said earlier, however this time the car is moving, and it has to be much more precise.. During the blip, the engine revs quickly to a high RPM which spools the turbo up in between gear changes. Then when you release the clutch, the power is there at your toetips

Driving like this can be fun, but usually lowers your fuel economy, and hasten the time it takes for your OEM diverter valve to fail.. Mine did at 5k, but they replaced it with a new DV (rev H) and it runs great again without the strange deceleration fluttering sounds.. Anyway I digress.. Just drive your TT the way it's mean to be driven.. with passion

Mozzi
Old 11-05-2000, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Mozzi.....
Old 11-05-2000, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Do you have to let a turbo "settle"?

Someone once told me that you have to let a turbo engine "settle" before turning it off - he said you should sit at idle for about 30 seconds when you park, then turn the engine off. Is this true?
Old 11-05-2000, 06:00 AM

Default no. check the posts below. probably somewhere around page 3+ same question answered

water pump takes care of it