TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What should I expect with my Forge DV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I expect with my Forge DV?

After lots of hesitation I finally replaced my OEM 'N' DV with a stealth Forge DV this weekend. This was after my fourth replacement of the OEM DV in the first 22,000 miles. It is such a hassle to keep making appointments (I have to rent a car) and after the last replacement the rattling spin down sound on upshifts started immediately. Oddly this time it would come and go. I got up enough nerve to take the risk when the service people told me everybody else was changing their DV's!
Now I don't quite know what to look for. How do I know it is functioning properly? Or I have I simply bought the same function but one that won't fail in 5,000 miles. The rattling sound is greatly diminished (gone at higher speeds although I think it is faintly there when cold and starting up the hill in lowering gear shifts). It does seen to be easier to get it to high speeds as if the revs do not drop down between shifts (or is that my imagination). It also seems to have a "throatier" engine sound (maybe because I am not distracted by that rattling sound that always made me cringe and fantasize that the turbo blades were flying apart). I am happy after one day but we will see...
Old 05-01-2001, 08:15 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Forge DV will recover quicker after shifts and hold boost better in the high RPM's...

...look out for increased lag at the onset of boost though. The Forge's sized for the 2.7T engine (different than yours) have a tendancy to stick when hot, and that is the leading sign that they are sticking. Forge Motorsports has indicated that the valves for the 1.8T do not do this -- you might want to make sure.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:33 AM

Default I'm going to take measurements after my service appointment

Going to let them replace my sick "G" valve with whatever they have, then replace with Forge I picked up at FW. Will compare all 3. Right now with sick valve I get peaks of 2.2 bar in low gears when throttle closes.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:18 PM

Default Re: The Forge DV will recover quicker after shifts and hold boost better in the high RPM's...

Thanks.
I'll keep an eye on it. After my second day of driving, it is definitely better. I do a lot of California freeway driving and I was amazed to see how quickly I could get up to speed now. It just sounds better too.