TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What is up with the diffs in leasing rates???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2000, 07:50 PM
Future TT Owner. (Maybe)

Default What is up with the diffs in leasing rates???????

I go to the audi web site, configure a TTQ with nothing but the audio package, comes out to about $33,700. Decide that I want to lease for 48 months, 12,000 miles, and about $500 down. Says payment will be $410 plus tax (so I figure $435-$450). I'm stoked. I call around the area, check out various web sellers and scour through the backlog of posts in the archive to find that this is not even close to what people are paying, as most are over $550/month with like $2-3000 down!! Something is wrong in my mind. Is the Audi site just plain wrong or has everyone not gone through Audi financial services. Maybe a better question is, is it even possible to lease or get financing through Audi?? Please help me out, as I really don't want my TT dream to end 2nite. There is a limit to what I am willing to pay. I love the car, but Im not gonna pay several thousands over MSRP. Thanks
Old 02-24-2000, 09:18 PM
LarryTT

Default Re: What is up with the diffs in leasing rates???????

The Audi website most likely calculates based upon someone with a PERFECT credit rating! How is your credit? That is what determines the lease rate, same as a new car loan and also a Home mortgage.

Everything is based upon PERFECT credit, something a lucky few actually possess!

Larry
Old 02-24-2000, 10:43 PM
Tony M

You should be able to lease through Audi Financial surfaces...Audi has a very high residual value on the TT...so it is a great car to lease..Dealers can sometimes try to get you with higher than normal finance charges ....I pay $365.00 plus tax on a 48 month lease...My drive of was around $4,600.00.....With good credit your payment should be lower than mine...The TT I leased was fully optioned....
Old 02-25-2000, 04:39 AM
JOHTT

Lease prices are as negotiable as sales prices. With residual value a big variable the price can really bounce around between leasing companies. Always use a net present value calculation(=NPV in excel) and you will know the intrinsic price of any lease including the down payment. Remember when you are working with Audi itself, the basis of "it's lease" is the cost(not the sales price of the car), which is one reason why dealers push leasing and have more leverage to put you in a great car for a good price. External leasing companies must buy the car at something higher than cost, therefore its cost basis is much higher than Audi, but most always less than what is available to you. Ultimately, the price of a car, lease, or financing is based on the market value, so don't blame anybody for trying to find the sucker. Just be prepared that the sucker isn't you.
Old 02-25-2000, 07:47 AM
Brian

Default Heres the deal

I did the same thing. They don't include tax on the web site. Tax on a 36,000 dollar car is about 4,000 dollars. So basically you are leasing a 40,000 dollar car. Go to the audi website, price out a 40,000 dollar car, punch in your info, and boom, it should be about right. By the way, I have a 00' 180Q fully loaded. I have a 36 month lease, 12,000 miles 2k down and pay 560.00. I don't know if thats a good deal or not. But most dealers around here were trying to ream me with 2-3k over msrp. I went through a broker. Paid $500 over msrp and got the car a week later. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2000, 08:27 AM
TT Wannabe

Default Re: Heres the deal

Thanks for the response, but you DO NOT pay tax on the entire price of the car when you lease. You pay tax on the monthly payment. Therefore, if you have a payment w/o tax of $499/month, with a 6% tax rate, you should pay about $530/month (only comes out to about $1100 in tax over 36 months) Hope you did not get suckered into paying $4000 in tax, ouch.
Old 02-25-2000, 12:00 PM
John TT

Default Actually, you pay tax on the differerence between the sales price and the residual, which is ..

in effect added to the capitalized cost.