TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What's up with the TT-West & the Park Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default What's up with the TT-West & the Park Ranger?

I just found the article on Audiworld.com's main page about TT-West. The article mentioned a park ranger and 'more about that later' but never expounded on what that meant.

Sounds like a blast. Graduated from College that weekend so I'm going to do everything I can to be at TT-East & TT-West next year.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There was a Ranger coming up someone's rear.

But they both survived.

scot
Old 11-15-2002, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts
Default It could have been nasty, but the rangers were cool.

When we entered the Valley of Fire Park fee station with 40+ TTs we imediately attracted a lot of attention from the rangers. One drove from the distant Visitor's Center to the entrance just to talk to the drive masters. The basic conversation was that the speed limit was 25 or 35 MPH depending on the area but they were not using speed measurement devices. Bottom line was "enjoy yourself but be reasonable". This fit in with our pre-drive briefing saying that this was not a race but a pleasure drive.

Well, most drivers proceeded to press the edge to the end of the VOF vista at White Dome and one idiot (never identified) passed a ranger well above the speed limit. At White Dome we received another ranger "visit" giving us a stern warning that we had used up all of the rangers' good will.

Thankfully, drive master leadership prevailed thereafter and we left the park within the speed limit which gave many the opportunity to enjoy the spectacular scenary which had blurred by them on the way in.

We stopped for our box lunches shortly outside the park to prepare for the West Shore drive back to Las Vegas which is a treat as well. During lunch, the rangers had deployed multiple speed patrols anticipating the end of our "LeMans". However, most of our folks drove at reasonable speeds (not necessarily within the posted limits) and none of us got hit for speeding. In all my prior drives on the West Shore, I rarely encountered any park rangers but had deploued for us after lunch.

Bottom line - the rangers bent over backwards to be accommodating and we pressed it beyond the limit. In the end it was a very memorable drive over difficult and attractive terrain and the rangers are just one of the many interesting side stories.