TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

When good TTs go bad... or, "He's dead, Jim."

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When good TTs go bad... or, "He's dead, Jim."

Okay, not dead... but comatose.

Sunday morning my '00 180 quattro coupe would not start. Acted like a dead battery, but there was no obvious reason for the battery to be dead. Call Audi Roadside Assistance, i.e. AAA, and they jump started it. Ran fine, but obvious not all was right. One-touch windows didn't work, gauges died momentarily every so often, radio went silent for a second or two and eventually the ABS light came on and the BRAKE light started flashing. Finally, after driving it and letting it run for 50 minutes, shut it off. Would not start again.

Watched my baby taken away on the tilt bed this morning and am waiting for a call from the dealer.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

Richard
Old 11-19-2001, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose battery cable.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:09 AM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: sounds like alternator is gone and you're running on a battery that's been drained too low.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:38 AM

Default I second this....

had a similar problem w/ a different car, but the symptoms were exactly the same as yours.

Car would start w/ a jump, then slowly all electrical services would shut off one by one until the car died. replace alternator and everything worked fine.

TT had a battery failure
My TT's battery was replaced, but the symptoms problem were that the car would not start after sitting around for a few hours. But once started, no problems while running.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:43 AM

If it is, it's loose somewhere other than at the battery.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:45 AM

Default Immediately after jumping, turned on lights and AC and let it idle. Kept going...

So the alternator is putting out something, but maybe not full output.

hopefully I'll find out soon what the official diagnosis is.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:49 PM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: alternator is putting out enough to power lights.. but my guess is it's still too low to charge

the battery. Look at the head lights to see if it looks dimmer or flickers. That's a sign the alternator is not putting out enough voltage. I've had this same symptoms on 2 of my previous cars. Both resolved after the alternator was replaced. The battery eventually recharged under the new alternator. If the mechanic stick a meter to the alternator output they can probably determine if the alternator is the culprit.

Tony
Old 11-19-2001, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default "Dammitt Jim, I'm an architect not an AoA rep". This summer my 01 225TTQC would not start after I

had just driven it on a quick errand. The gauges and windows worked, but the engine would not turn over or even engage at all. It turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. No problems since the 5-day-drive-a-friggin-Stratus-rent-a-pile-o-crap-on-wheels repair was done. The dealer made the rental very convenient and picked up the tab, I just wasn't too thrilled with the ride. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2001, 01:51 PM

Default My 2000 180 FWD did the same last year!

It left my yard the same way too, on the back of a flat bed wrecker for a 100 mile trip back to the dealer for a NEW BATTERY. The original battery barely lasted a year. If you look at the top of it there are a load of wires that must be draining it at all times. I don't know. I call my TT an ART CAR not a Sports Car since it's made for its looks! Which is alright by me!!!!!
Old 11-19-2001, 03:04 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think I figured out why my TT went dead recently...

A couple of months ago, the TT was dead when it shouldn't have been. I bump started it and took it to the dealer, and the battery tested fine. They put a charge on it, and the battery's been okay ever since.

My diagnosis? The dreaded lock/light bug. After I shut off the car, the interior lights remained illuminated for an extended period of time. This drained the battery. By the time the battery was recharged, the bug had gone into remission.

Quick Reply: When good TTs go bad... or, "He's dead, Jim."