TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Where on gas gauge s low fuel message suppost to come on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where on gas gauge s low fuel message suppost to come on?

I have a defective instrument cluster with temp and fuel gauges that do not read properly. I am going to dissasemble it and temporarly drive with no plastic covers over the gauges so I can figure out where the needles need to be while the car is running. I plan on letting my engine getting up to temp and move the needle 2 nothces back down to the middle where it used to be.

AS long as I have owned the car the Fuel gauge has never read properly and my low fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank. When I fill my tank the needle is pegged so far to the right it is hitting the inside of the bezzle.

So can anyone with a working cluster tell me when their low fuel light comes on? Or can tak a pic of the needle within a few miles of after low fuel light came on?
That way whenever my light comes on I will just pop the needle off while the ignition is on and adjust it to the proper location.
-Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You can't fix it like that. You really need an accurate temp gauge.

It's not just a matter of moving the needles.

First of all run the VAG.com cluster tests to check the cluster display.

The cluster problem is well known with the TT.There was a recall until last year on it. Remove it and send it it to modulemaster for a fix.

I think the fix is less than $200, but you won't be able to drive your car without the cluster.

The fuel sender(s) on the TT are also a known potential problem. You can clean it with an eraser or run some bottles of techtron fuel system cleaner thru the tank.

There are two fuel senders in the quattro. Check the "miles to empty "display compared to the fuel reading. If they both move erratically it's the senders. If it's just gauge it's the cluster.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried many bottles of techron, the low fuel light always comes on at 1/4 tank. No real eratic movementents on fuel gauge. Temp gauge is up two notches with a cold engine. It is always constanly two nothces above where it should be. I pulled the needle now it reads accurate. I am not saying that by doing this its a permanent fix but it will get me by for now. So far my temp gauge is now accurate. I mean I have had the car for 3 years now and have only seen the fuel gauge and temp gauge move erratically once or twice. Otherwise its always pretty constant, just the needles are in the wrong position. I know its probabley bad coils in the movements. I also cannot check miles to empty because my LCD is to far gone. I found a place nearby in Tampa that can install a new OEM LCD for $230.00
Does modulemasters include the LCD in the $200.00 fix?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After all they say a broken watch is "100% accurate" twice a day.

A broken temperature gauge is similar, when the car actually overheats you may never know.

My beater truck had a gauge that someone had done that too. Ended up replacing the cluster because I couln't trust it.

I think module master only fix the gauges at the moment so your deal could be better.