TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

While cleaning my TT and thinking of my P'Zwo grill that is coming...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While cleaning my TT and thinking of my P'Zwo grill that is coming...

I was looking at the stock grill and there was an interesting feature I never noticed. The right upper corner of the stock grill is not open, meaning that even tho' it has slats, it is solid to restrict air flow.

After thinking of possible reasons of why Audi engineers would purposely block of airflow through the grill, I could only think of one, and that was because of the placement of the battery is right behind there and could it be that they were worried about cold climate areas having problems with dead batteries due to extreme temperatures? Does this make sense?

I am also thinking about the P'Zwo grill and how it is all open. I am not worried as my car spends the winter in hibernation, but I am curious to see if any aftermarket grill owners will have problems in the extreme cold.

Sorry, its the end of the day and my mind is wandering.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2001, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I noticed that a long time ago and was thinking more of airflow/aerodynamics/drag issues...

Like many of the things people like to pull off the car for no reason at all, the engineers probably put this there for a reason.

I couldn't tell you why, but I'm sure it does something.

That won't stop me from changing the grill, but it is something to thing about.