TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.

Audi knows the operation and function of the DV one hellavalot more than we do. The past few days have indicated the DV "issue" is indeed way overblown. Now, this isn't a blanket certification that the OEM valves are not subject to failure but I am of the mind most of what is being said is little more than hysteria. I have made a complete reversal on this whole DV issue. Sorry Audi, you are right...I have been wrong.

I've got the Bailey and I've also had 4 OEM DVs and here is what I've learned: just because the valve is making noise doesn't in the least mean the valve is not working or is shot. The Bailey aspirates air at every shift, at every lift and cracks open even @ 80MPH with any modulation in throttle. If I dig for power the valve closes and stays closed and if I lift or modulate the valve will aspirate. The Bailey makes as much noise as a "shot" OEM DV, it just sounds different. In fact, my old G valve I just replaced makes significantly less noise from aspirated air than the Bailey.

ECU has also adapted and performance/MPG look essentially the same.

Flame away Bailey lovers...as for others...stop worrying about the damn DV craze...it's nonsense. Will I swap out the Bailey? No, its better made and it will stay where it is now that I own it.
Old 10-03-2000, 05:26 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you for confirming what I've been thinking all along without commenting....(LOL, I

know that's unusual for me!!)
Old 10-03-2000, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting comment Bogey, almost like the instability issue all over again.... thanks
Old 10-03-2000, 05:41 AM

Do you have the Bailey installed vertically or sideways? (just curious, no flame intended) :-)
Old 10-03-2000, 05:47 AM

Default "Sideways". For fun I installed vertical...piston in valve just shudders @ lift producing

yet a different noise but no change in performance.
Old 10-03-2000, 06:05 AM

Default Hmmm... interesting.

The only noise I have right now is a strong metallic vibration -- it sounds like it is coming from a small piece of metal that is loose in the cabin -- when I release the clutch at 6000RPMs. I don't hear anything from the Bailey (I listen for it when I have the top down) yet.

I wonder if you have a defective Bailey valve? (sounds funny but it might be the case?)

Another thought goes along with your idea that the DV isn't busted in the first place. My DV didn't make any noise but I replaced it anyway (personal choice). Yours did make noise. You put in the Bailey and you still have a noise. Could there be something else going on here that is worth noting? The noises (comparing Bailey to OEM DV) are different but still there.

Could you have some other problem that is causing airflow through the DV and surrounding hoses to react differently?

Are you chipped? stock? Do you have the ability to switch back and forth if so to hear if there is a difference? (sorry the computer programmer wanna be side of me is taking over, I need to go for a walk)

Just my $0.02 worth. Hopefully it sparks some ideas.
Old 10-03-2000, 06:11 AM

Default Welcome over! Takes a brave man to change his mind. Now, there's a lot of valves in the TT's,

made to the same tight budget as the DV. Amazing that people haven't reported a host of failures in any of those? ;-)
Old 10-03-2000, 06:12 AM
BZ

Very....
Old 10-03-2000, 06:12 AM

Default Denny finally "honks" on topic...toot it, gal.;-)

Me, no DV problem, here.
Old 10-03-2000, 06:15 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey!!

Quick Reply: The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.