TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is kinda what I was thinkin
Old 10-03-2000, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.

I always thought that PERHAPS someone has a friend or relative that works or owns Bailey. What a great way to publicize the product and create a large demand by "playing" up the DV problem as national TT epidemic, and absolute "must have" after market product.

Just a theory.
Old 10-03-2000, 07:09 AM

actually, I felt the same way...
Old 10-03-2000, 07:25 AM

Default Everything OK at home?

Ivan was a forum regular when I arrived some 11 months ago...we know the kind of man he is.

Apologize for being an idiot.
Old 10-03-2000, 07:29 AM

Default The Bailey 'fanatics' are a small subset of the TT population...

I have a Bailey installed even though I have a DV is perfect condition. I figure I should state that to show that I'm a reasonable adult. ;-) My DV lasted 6,600 miles of fun.

I do feel there is a slight difference between the OEM and Bailey DVs in acceleration. I do NOT think the Bailey gives me more power, but I feel that the engine response to throttle position & changes in throttle position aren't as surgy as they were with the OEM DV installed. I've only put 400 miles on my TTR since installing the Bailey on Saturday, so I don't have much seat-o-pants testing under me yet.

Why did I upgrade to the Bailey? Not because I was afraid my DV would break actually. I figure the DV problem has something to do with other aspects of the engine acting out of spec (but still within factory tolerances). I figure this is either affecting a bad batch of DVs (a small subset of the total population) or the small subset of engines (operating outside factory specs) is affecting perfectly good DVs. So either a small batch of cars are a little off or a small set of DVs are off... OR a small combination of cars and DVs that are at the edge of the engineering departments' specifications come together to provide us with a honk or a ripped diaphram.

Building a Bosch DV isn't rocket science. Very easy to get high quality out of a repeatable process IMHO.

When you combine a whole series of factors together I think you could end up with a small group of car owners with problems with their cars.

I would love to sit an Audi Engineer down next to a Bosch Engineer and ask the Audi Engineer if he intended the car to honk. Then ask the Bosch Engineer if he intended the DV to honk. Note I'm not talking about a subjective subject like performance degradation. I imagine BOTH sides will answer no. With that being the case, this problem of cars honking (coke bottle whistling) was not intended by Freeman or anyone else involved in the design of the TT.

Those are my humble thoughts... if they are wrong, I imagine someone will humble me a bit more. ;-)
Old 10-03-2000, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its all Hipe and Bailey is racking in the dough from all this...

This is exactly the same way I feel about the DV problem. I would have posted it earlier, but I didn't want to shell out the 160 dollars to prove a point. As for Bailey's DV. It might be a well made DV, but not required. The whoosing sound or the hiss sound that is coming from the car when you lift off the accelerator is a normal sound from the wastegate. FWIW, I I feel that most of you guys comment on things with/o knowledge but from what others say and kinda repeat it over and over. Particuarlly about the DV. I can't agree with you more Colonel.
Old 10-03-2000, 07:31 AM

IMHO, I'd feel better having a Bailey in when I chip my car though
Old 10-03-2000, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Could explain why I have never been blessed with a honk?
Old 10-03-2000, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i hate to be the devil's advocate, but

what are you feeling that is better? Piece of mind from what?

Whats the difference from chipping your car and getting a bigger intercooler? This IMO, would make me feel better knowing the car is running alot cooler.

Changing out the DV is like changing out another stock part. But it will be a wasted part that will not improve your performance.
Old 10-03-2000, 07:52 AM

good post, colonel

Quick Reply: The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.