TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I re-read my post. Where am I saying a DV will affect throttle response?

I assume you have mis-read my post...

"""""
I do feel there is a slight difference between the OEM and Bailey DVs in acceleration. I do NOT think the Bailey gives me more power, but I feel that the engine response to throttle position & changes in throttle position aren't as surgy as they were with the OEM DV installed. I've only put 400 miles on my TTR since installing the Bailey on Saturday, so I don't have much seat-o-pants testing under me yet.
"""""

In this paragraph I am talking about ENGINE RESPONSE to throttle position. The DV doesn't not interact with the throttle. You stomp your foot and the computer decides what to do. The computer affects throttle response. That's not what I'm talking about here.

I will attempt to clarify what I'm talking about. It is my theory (I'm not an engineer of any sort) that the OEM DV is more sensitive to changes in pressure and therefore will react to a change in throttle position sooner than a Bailey. This might be a good thing in certain circumstances. If this is the case, it is my opinion that the OEM DV is over-reacting to minute changes in the throttle position. This in turn affects the engine response.

Response is NOT a statement dealing with acceleration in this case. I guess it is more a case of dealing with the act of starting or stopping the acceleration (or something to that effect). Lift off pedal, computer tells engine to reduce throttle, diaphram lifts out of way and engine surges (slows down too {IMHO} quickly) because because of a change of the engine's state (affecting the airflow from turbo/engine/exhaust).

So, response here is talking about sensitivity, not 0-60 times.

Hope this clears up the confusion between "throttle response" and where I wrote, "engine response to throttle position & changes in throttle position."
Old 10-03-2000, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default From someone with two TT's who never ordered a Bailey valve...

... I think the main reason people are ordering the valves is aesthetic. The noise on our 180Q on longer shifts (2-3 especially) is not a pleasant one. The noise on the Bailey-equipped cars I've driven is slightly less disconcerting and, if the peace of mind that your car doesn't make the stock noise is worth the money, go get a Bailey valve.

I must admit, however, that the stock valve on slight throttle lift sounds like a wind instrument designed to duplicate late-60's Lotus clutch chatter.

Cameron
TT - with an engine that sings and a valve that farts
Old 10-03-2000, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Everyone has a little bit of "me too" attitude in him, just be glad it didn't show up...

... in the purchase of a Camry.
Old 10-03-2000, 09:33 AM
BZ

is for horses...
Old 10-03-2000, 09:35 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that would be "hay." ;-)
Old 10-03-2000, 09:36 AM

Default Didn't Mr Nice Guy make the same points yesterday only to get almost stoned off the board?

Find it fascinating that everyone suddenly jumps on Colonel Bogey's bandwagon
but gave an extremely hard time to Mr Nice Guy yesterday who also defended Audi and the original OEM DV..not arguing one side or the other about the DV - just making an observation
Old 10-03-2000, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Trend goes back to JET's A4 Page in 1997/8 with Ricardo and the KO4 questions...
Old 10-03-2000, 09:47 AM
Elder Member

Default I silently appreciated MR. Nice Guy's comments, did not go against him publicly...

so you ain't talking to me!
Old 10-03-2000, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm with you! I haven't read legit tests and failure analysis methods...

No blowing on the damn thing is not a test
so I never recommended it cuz I don't have any supporting info to backup a claim.

Maybe until I do my own testing will I be convinced, but until then, unless I install a few boost gauges on a couple of areas in the intake track and analyze their behavior with one another, I do not see any reason why stock is totally inferior with aftermarket valves, specially when everything else is stock (ok, ok, there is that added factor of boost with chipping, but it is vacuum that opens is, yada yada yada)

Until then, almost got 1000miles on our baby (roadster) and it is nothing but fun and spirited driving. Did fast launches last night and all I can say is forget turbo lag - it is very easy to come by, roughly a 2500 rpm launch (not paying attention to the tach but listening to the turbo spooling as I oscillate the gas pedal, and launch) hooyah! Instant G-force, 1st, 2nd and 3rd were gone in a hurry - whoops 20mph over speed limit, good brakes too Sorry officer, the turbo just kicked in out of control he he.

Rush feels like our old eclipse, just a bit more power and a lot more refined, and a lot less lag
Old 10-03-2000, 09:59 AM

Default Just note that a good number of us use words like opinion and feel. These are subjective qualifiers.

I haven't seen tests proving anything and don't really need to considering my DV was never broken in the first place. I know this to be the case. I replaced it for piece of mind reasons more than anything (and prep for when I chip my car {but that's still piece of mind related}).

Quick Reply: The whole DV/Bailey crap it just that...CRAP.