TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Why did you want a TT in the first place?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2000, 09:19 PM
Howard

Default Why did you want a TT in the first place?

I've been reading over the last couple of days how some people have cancelled their orders or want to get rid of their TT's since they are "losing their value" because of all the bad press.

Is that why you bought this car? Because you will be able to sell it for a few more dollars?

I bought my TT because I thought it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. Then I test drove it and the dream was complete.

I know a lot of you talk about the speed, the handling and everything else that goes with having a sports car. Because of that, some of you are worried that you will crash this car.

Well I (and I expect most of you) will never drive over 100 MPH. In fact I rarely go over 80. What does that leave me with? A car I love because it is beautiful, because it can go fast if I want to or need to, because it does handle well if I turn hard.

For those of you that are panicked by the accidents that have happened. I am sorry that you are worried. Go get your Z3 (or whatever) and when you over steer, panic, or hit that patch of ice at 100+ MPH you will realize that it can happen with any car and you could have had a TT.
Old 02-05-2000, 09:41 PM
Steve B

Default I agree with you (mostly).

I plan on keeping my TT indefinitely. I could really care less about its resale. However, I think it will definitely be considered a classic 30 years from now. None of the tripe I've read from the malcontents on this forum has disuaded me one bit from my passion for this car. (BTW I will definitely be driving my TT over 100MPH - I did in my test drive). I'm still waiting impatiently for my 225Q coupe...
Old 02-05-2000, 10:25 PM
jason

Default Re: Why did you want a TT in the first place?

Drive over 100, its no big deal at all. For $33k I demand that the car be safe at speeds well over 100
Old 02-06-2000, 03:05 AM
william banks

Remember, most of the handleing characteristics that make a true sportscar provide the "seat-of-the-pants" thrills that they do creates danger at the limits in the inexperienced driver of the car. Even an experienced sportscar driver needs to respect his car until he truly gets the feel of the machine--same goes for motorcycles. I've owned porsches for years. To the neophyte, they are scary cars. Once you get innitiated to the cars nuances, there is nothing like them for all out thrills. Modern day drivers have gotten too used to hoping in there Honda Accords from day one and feeling very comfortable--like they have owned the car forever. That is why many say the japanese build cars with no soul. I have a TT 225hp on order and hope to God the "Nadarites" haven't engineered all the personality and soul out of the car. I want a sports car not a fast Accord coupe.
Old 02-06-2000, 05:13 AM
AkRascal

Here, here, -- well said.
Old 02-06-2000, 05:44 AM
Janet

Agreed 100%....which is why I DON'T want ANY of the mods!
Old 02-06-2000, 05:47 AM
Janet

Thanks for taking the time to post this note....a LOT of us here agree with you, Howard!
Old 02-06-2000, 06:06 AM
DavidL

Take a look at Autotrader.com. You will probably not see a TT for sale second hand below its MSRP! So much for losing value. That's not to say that these cars are selling, but considering the apparent delays in orders they probably are.

I suspect I was one of the first TT owners in the US, having picked up my car in mid-May 1999. It's a blue FWD180 and if I didn't love my wife so much I would have run away with this beauty long ago. My car has been relatively defect free; only and lose mirror and window motor, but in the time I have driven it it has behaved impeccably at speads up to and in excess of 100mph. I wish those people who use this forum to complain about the recall would just sell their cars and be done with it. They could then buy a beamer, porsche, merc or whatever and live with those cars' limitations. They should just be prepared to stomach looking longingly every time a TT passes by.
Old 02-06-2000, 06:06 AM
fraTTe (cdn)

Default Agreed 110%.... The TT is the first car that I don't feel as if I own it for years (more)

The grip is so much better than any cars I own, the steering so must quicker, you must learn to drive it... and I love it.

Yesterday, I was working home; at 3:30 I decided to take a break. I went out, got in the car I went for a 45 minutes "training session".

Drove in some streets and practiced breaking on ice, changing direction while the abs was on then went on an empty parking lot and did some power control drifting, slalom etc.

When you get a new set of golf clubs, you go to the practice range; with new skis, you first try easier slope to develop the feeling.

I just love to discover my TT, to learn it. If you drove your TT for a while without driving an other car, you will be surprise when you try another car... you will now realise what a great car the TT is.

Come on, go out and have some fun with your car.

Have fun!
Old 02-06-2000, 07:44 AM
Denny

I had a TT play day yesterday as well. Glorious, bright winter day and the TT...nothing better..

Quick Reply: Why did you want a TT in the first place?